Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Which combi boiler brands are best? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Which combi boiler brands are best?

15 replies 33.2K views
2»

Replies

• I bought 7 Atmos boilers (re bagged intergas rapid) and 1 intergas hre all combi's around 9 years ago.
    The reason for the atmos brand was because intergas didnt sell to the UK at that point.
    Anyway in all those years apart from servicing every year they have had 1 CH pump and 1 gasvalve and spark/flame sensor.
    The CH pump broke its casting and I suspect the tenant opened the top up valve a bit to quickly and shocked the casting.
    I replaced the whole gas valve /flame sensor just because the plumber was finding it difficult to find which one it was so I said replace everything,so gas valve spark gen and sensor in one go.
    Just out of perspective,across from me had a potterton fitted 6 months after I had mine fitted and in first year they came out 4 times just for one boiler.
    and 2 times since as I know of.
    Intergas boilers are very efficient quiet and very very reliable.

I wouldn't have any other fitted,and I wouldn't be scared of having the cheaper rapid one either if your on a budget.
  • Have 3 Biasi boilers across properties. Far more reliable than any Vaillant, Ideal, Potterton, Glowworm I've experienced. They get a lot of bad press but that's probably because many are DIY bodge installs.

Certain companies spend a lot of money on marketing and greasing palms to get their boilers installed. Worcester-Bosch get glowing reviews and yet if you look over the internet for problems, time and time again it's some known fault with a plastic part in a WB boiler.

Broken down, combi boilers don't have much to them. Many of the parts like the pumps and expansion vessels are normally made by the same companies anyway.
  • cyberviccybervic Forumite
    567 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Just had an INTERGAS installed, plumber was surprised how easy it is to install, I am very happy with the performance. Excellent value for money with 10 years warranty. Highly recommended!
  • Recently had an ideal boiler installed with smart ideal touch thermostat. It’s meant to be able to control the heating over the internet whist your away. It doesn’t work. In addition the thermostat for use at home is slow to react and has a lot of overshoot. I contacted ideal support several times and all they could suggest is that I get a replacement from another company like hive/nest. They stated the touch although new was being replaced at some stage. However, it’s still advertised on their website as a viable product. Seems they brought this smart stat out too early and it’s a failure.
  • southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Albut wrote: »
    Recently had an ideal boiler installed with smart ideal touch thermostat. It’s meant to be able to control the heating over the internet whist your away. It doesn’t work. In addition the thermostat for use at home is slow to react and has a lot of overshoot. I contacted ideal support several times and all they could suggest is that I get a replacement from another company like hive/nest. They stated the touch although new was being replaced at some stage. However, it’s still advertised on their website as a viable product. Seems they brought this smart stat out too early and it’s a failure.

As you are finding out Ideal have issues with their controls, new range being launched next year
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.