PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Loose tea

Options
13»

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That 'dust' is a sign that it's a really cheap, low quality tea.
  • pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many years ago I posted how I use loose leaf tea.

I buy Yorkshire Tea and home brand tea which I mix in equal amounts.
    I use a small tea pot....two mugs size...and add one and a half spoons of tea which is the strength we like.
    I boil enough water for four mugs and fill the tea pot and let it brew.
    Pour out two mugs of tea and use the remaining water to top up the tea pot.
    Drink the first mug and then there is a second waiting in the tea pot...and for some reason it doesn’t taste stewed!

I used to use a four mug tea pot and add three spoons of tea so using this method has reduced my tea usage by half!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I put this mix in my caddy:
    250g Co-op 99 (£1.59) +
    125g Co-op Indian Prince (£1.69)
    Lasts us about a couple of weeks.

I tried your tip, and even bought Indian Prince, which let memories in, we used to drink that decades ago, before tea bags took over

However I used the IP "neat", nice cuppa, but used the W/rose loose Assam 125g as the blend in tea

I like the result, and just by chance the Assam is a bit cheaper, £1.55, than the IP which is 1.89 in my local co-op, although I was not selecting on price
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • juliettet
    Options
    If it looks like granules it could be instant tea like coffee. We had some at work once .
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Blimey, can't see me getting three mugs from that amount, must be weaker than I like.

I'm two mugs from 2 & bit Tsp, and as for reusing them, not for me, too weak again, that one is just too far for my taste. I tip them on the garden

does look a bit anaemic but tastes ok .. I like it strong too :)
    I tend to use less milk too ... which allows the flavour of the tea to come through :)

mine go in the compost bin, along with the coffee grounds - ive switched from instant coffee to beans/ground coffee too!!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Slightly off topic but for those who really enjoy their loose tea and know what they like can I recommend you the book "For all the tea in China" by Sarah Rose.

It,s a fascinating history of how the secrets of growing and making tea were stolen from the Chinese and imported into India in the mid 1800's and how over the decades that has now become the main tea producing source for this country. It also helps one understand the difference in cost between the "sweepings" and the more delicately flavoured speciality teas.

There,s a lot of interesting i formation in the book about the specifics of climate needed and the actual tea production process.
  • Olliebeak1951
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    ........... needs less tea & you can re-use it multiple times ........

Memories of 'Colin' (played by Donald Pleasance) in The Great Escape ;)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure