Forum Home» Credit Cards

Help! Forgot I needed a credit card.. travel money?

New Post Advanced Search

Help! Forgot I needed a credit card.. travel money?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
20 replies 3.3K views
tommysavertommysaver Forumite
181 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi you helpful lot,

Well, nearly 18 months ago I cancelled my 123 credit card as a change in circumstances meant I never used it, and wasn't justifying the monthly cost. Nor did I particularly like paying things off the next month.

Anyway.

I totally forgot I'm going on holiday at the end of this month (June) :O and it's probably a good idea that I sorted myself out with one again.

I don't go away too often but it would be really nice to know I've got a future proof card that offers some kind of good deal.

E.g. travel money, some sort of % back on normal spending. Does such a thing exist?

Also, roughly how long does it take to get set up with one - I'm conscious I only have a few weeks really.

I did look on the websites comparing them and I'm not going to lie, found it slightly confusing / time consuming haha.

Is there such a card that offers what I'm after - any recommendations?

I'm going to the baleriac islands so nowhere too remote.

What's the standard practice if I say needed to use an ATM for cash,

Or failing that, actually used my CC to pay for things - e.g. hotel deposit / hire car / supermarkets? Does it pay using Euro's and then Convert it and I get charged whatever the rate is?

Appreciate any advice.. sorry, bit of a n00b on this subject.

Cheers.

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best place for info and guidance on this around here is https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards
  • SncjwSncjw Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not just get some money changed over with cash
  • RichL74RichL74 Forumite
    938 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Must be great to have such a busy life that you forget your going on holiday, I'm not going away until December yet I can't stop thinking about it.
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get the Tesco CC you can get the travel money from Tesco on it and it is counted as a normal purchase rather than a cash advance.

If you want to get money out of the ATM you really need to have a bank debit card, it would cost a fortune on credit card.

Considering how late you have left it you might be best off getting a cash passport - this is a link to Tesco travel money because it is what I use, if you look around you will find more information about it.

https://www.tescobank.com/travel-money/buy-in-store/
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you get the Tesco CC you can get the travel money from Tesco on it and it is counted as a normal purchase rather than a cash advance.

If you want to get money out of the ATM you really need to have a bank debit card, it would cost a fortune on credit card.

Considering how late you have left it you might be best off getting a cash passport - this is a link to Tesco travel money because it is what I use, if you look around you will find more information about it.
    Ignore all three of these pieces of duff advice. Stay away from supermarket 'travel money' and 'cash passport' cards, you just need suitable fee-free debit or credit cards according to the advice in the link given by Eskbanker. You can, for example, sign up for a Starling Bank account on your phone in minutes and have the debit card within a couple of days.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only suggested that because of the limited time, you can go into a shop and buy the card on the spot rather than having to wait to be approved, getting the card lost in the post etc.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • edited 6 June 2018 at 8:42AM
    eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 June 2018 at 8:42AM
    I only suggested that because of the limited time, you can go into a shop and buy the card on the spot rather than having to wait to be approved, getting the card lost in the post etc.
    I'm sorry but buying a 'cash passport' type card is just not a good idea. By the time you've loaded foreign currency at a dismal rate, paid to redeem any leftover and various other fees it would almost certainly be cheaper to use your regular bank debit card while overseas, also saving the time and hassle. The same probably goes for exchanging cash at a supermarket.

Specifically, assuming Tommy uses a smartphone, I would apply for the Tandem credit card which satisfies his desire for cashback, at 0.5%, which is likely enough to arrive within the 2-3 weeks before departure. In addition, the Starling Bank and/or Monzo cards, which arrive within days, and a Loot prepaid card* as extra backup.

All of these cost nothing and your money remains in pounds until purchases or cash withdrawals are made, at the ideal MasterCard exchange rate.

* https://loot.io/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Edi81Edi81 Forumite
    866 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Or just open a current account with starling...you don!!!8217;t get cash back but no currency fees for spending or withdrawals plus it should be with you within 4/5 days.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Why not just get some money changed over with cash

Because it's one of the least cost-effective ways of obtaining goods and services in a foreign currency.
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.starlingbank.com

https://monzo.com

https://www.revolut.com/?lang=en

all free, I have all three, currently Starling is the best. Whilst non of them are credit cards all will allow mastercard exchange rates with no fees and Starling will let you withdraw from ATM's with no limits- the other two are approx £200pm fee free from ATM's but unlimited card use in shops etc.

I've used all of them all over world and it makes travelling so simple and cost effective.

apply online and you'll get the accounts instantly with a physical card in the post three days later.