Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: Hit with multiple charges after the Visa outage? Here's what to do

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

MSE News: Hit with multiple charges after the Visa outage? Here's what to do

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
1 reply 1.2K views
MSE_Megan_FMSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 posts
Newshound!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Debit and credit card holders who've been left out of pocket by the Visa outage which affected payments across Europe on Friday are being told to claim from their banks - if you're affected here's what you need to know...
Read the full story:
'Hit with multiple charges after the Visa outage? Here's what to do'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• BabycakesBabycakes Forumite
    223 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I attempted to transfer £2k from my Natwest account using my Visa debit card on Friday afternoon to an investment account. The payment failed so I attempted it again; it failed a second time.

I made the payment today successfully, but when I tried to make a payment of £3k to my mortgage account, it failed as I did not have enough "available funds" even though my balance was sufficient.

It seems Natwest ring-fenced £4k from the failed payments on Friday, thus leaving me with insufficient cleared funds to transfer to my mortgage.

When I called Natwest this evening, they told me that this was not their fault. Is that really true? I used their Visa Debit card and they have ring-fenced the money even though it did not transfer. They suggested that I call the recipient with the transaction numbers and ask them to refuse the payment. Surely this isn't my job to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.