We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Front garden invaded by small trefoil like weed

Options
littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 1 June 2018 at 6:09PM in Gardening
Our front garden has been totally invaded by a tiny spreading weed which looks like a minute 4 leaved trefoil. (You can fit around 4 of the tiny trefoils onto my thumbnail.)

I have looked it up but the only similar one I can see - the lesser trefoil - looks larger and has yellow flowers. Our weed does not flower. It has completely covered the earth in the front garden - like a carpet.

Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it?

(I can put a picture up if someone explains to me how to do that)

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »

(I can put a picture up if someone explains to me how to do that)

You can't plonk a photo from your computer on this site directly. You must first upload it to a company who'll host it (for free) and they'll give you a link to post here.

I use https://imgbb.com/
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If it's what I think it is, we've got it and it's a !!!!!! to remove (but I've no idea what it's called). When it grows across gravel or bare rock you can literally peel it off like a sod of turf. I ripped out as much I as could then went for it with a flame gun. Three cans of butane and a couple of months later and it's mainly under control. Because it's next to impossible to completely remove from paving, I generally wait for a dry spell every couple of weeks and give the remaining runners a good blasting until eventually they're ash. I'll see if I can find a photo to post too

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 June 2018 at 10:32PM
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc4uOnNINnLFn-hqgghTWKoloSp8hiTDSiur-d_kvDccWhwOjd

Z

Is it this? If so, it's called 'mind your own business' and it's actually sold as a garden plant.

It can be very invasive, though. If it had spread to your lawn then you'd be stuffed - but a weedkiller such as 'roundup' should work for you as long as you don't spray any plants you want to keep.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq0Y2Xc4wtGBKYKp7LRGwylua7XZgvbm4VyugkV91b9sEYJHWtrw

Better picture?
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That looks like the stuff I have. I'll try for a photo tomorrow (there's a cheeky little patch reappeared in a wall that I've left for the moment)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep that looks like it :(
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Getting rid of it - try just pulling it up like a mat to get shut of the worst of it. You could go the nuclear chemical approach, but it's easy enough to keep under control if you hoik it up when you see it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Soleirolia soleirolii (Helxine soleirolii) Horrible stuff! It's so invasive. I waft a blow torch lightly over the top in the winter when very little else is growing near it. The trouble is that it seems damp most of the time so weedkillers aren't very effective against it. I have thought of using moss killer as it seems to have similar properties. So difficult to eradicate especially when it is happily ensconced in heathers and grasses...:(
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure