MySuperMarket price comparison website

Options
2»

Comments

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Whenever my mother drags me into a supermarket hellhole, I use my smartphone to see whether the price in front of me is cheaper than ASDA or Ocado. If yes I buy it and cancel from the online order.

I don't suppose I'm the only person doing that. So it seems logical to me that people would want to check the product in front of them on MySupermarket.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    I see Aldi have taken a hissy fit & removed most of their stuff after people can see that they're not actually as cheap as they claim to be.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    I see Aldi have taken a hissy fit & removed most of their stuff after people can see that they're not actually as cheap as they claim to be.

Or could it be the fact what Aldi were being charged by Mysupermarket to be on thier list and Aldi thought it wasn't worth the outlay.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Or could it be the fact what Aldi were being charged by Mysupermarket to be on thier list and Aldi thought it wasn't worth the outlay.

Isnt that the same thing?

Whats odd is that they still list a few things, so why hide the rest?
    Surely its not going to cost that much more to list eveything rather than just 10% . If they're really are that much cheaper, people can then compare & it'll be worth it. Its a bizarre stance to take imo & given Aldi's form for dishonesty doesnt really surprise me.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What "form" do Aldi have for dishonesty? I don't think that's the kind of claim we should be discussing without evidence.

If I had to guess at Aldi's reasons, I think it is probably that they are not necessarily cheapest for branded goods (we already know that), but those goods are the ones that are easiest to compare.

It may well be that it was unhappy with the lack of proper comparison for its own brand/made-up brand goods.

I'm not convinced that Aldi's withdrawal from MySupermarket will hurt either party unduly. I just don't think that a basic price comparison necessarily works for a discounter.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Isnt that the same thing?

Surely its not going to cost that much more to list eveything rather than just 10% . If they're really are that much cheaper, people can then compare & it'll be worth it. Its a bizarre stance to take imo & given Aldi's form for dishonesty doesnt really surprise me.

So you think Aldi is being dishonest about it's pricing?

Well don't buy there then.

Choose from Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisions, Waitrose, Ocado or even Iceland.

If you think these companies are more honest than Aldi on thier food pricing, you need to get out more!

Most charge a lot more on the basics than Aldi does, Sainsbury's being one of the most expensive out there.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I didn't even realise Aldi had a proper online listing, in fact, having just checked their website, they don't. There's still only a very limited listing. Quite a few things I buy from there aren't listed.

I may be wrong here, but I thought mysupermarket functioned by scraping the prices from the retailers' web sites. If the retailer doesn't have the information there, MSM can't get it. I had a quick (or what passes as quick for MSM) look at the frozen section, and counted 135 items on MSM, compared to 142 on Aldi's own site, so not far from complete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure