Is installing electrical cables in screed good practice?

Options
Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
Is it good practice to run electric cables set in a sand and cement screed?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Electrical cables in conduit is quite common in screeded floors. It is certainly allowed, and is regarded as good practice. Ideally, the conduit will be galvanised steel and will be buried more than 75mm the surface to reduce the risk of a horn drilling into the conduit in future.

Providing the job is done correctly, if someone does accidentally drill into the conduit, new cables can be pulled in quickly. Marking the floor and keeping accurate plans of where the conduit is run might help to avoid any problems.

Floor anchors are pretty rare in residential buildings, so there is not much risk. If you have an RCD protecting the circuit this will provide further protection from electrocution.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are building regulations about where cables can be buried. Specifically there is a minimum depth. The protection required depends on location and dept. Some places would need a metal conduit to comply, ie to prevent drilling. Some places the requirements are less, eg where cables are expected to be.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure