Car insurance cancelled due to wrong occupation

Replies

• Kshah786Kshah786 Forumite
    113 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Ill be honest Before i was checking which occupation was cheapest on my previous quotes. However i didnt change it after. I will re run some quotes and see what the price is.

I have just rang eldon insurance and they said they are voiding the insurance due to them not accepting me as an auto electrician as my occupation. However the lady on the phone told me that they cover auto electricians and that i have nothing to worry about.
    113 Posts
    It says on their website that they ask all these documents for proof. Its not like they randomly chose me for a check. They do it to all customers. That's what it says on insurance website.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kshah786 wrote: »
    Ill be honest Before i was checking which occupation was cheapest on my previous quotes. However i didnt change it after. I will re run some quotes and see what the price is.

So you are now telling us that you lied about your current occupation when obtaining quotes in order to see which was cheapest. I think that whatever the insurer is saying this is the reason why your insurance has been cancelled, there have been a few other threads recently about this happening.
    113 Posts
    Im just going to be completely honest now and not bend the truth. On the comparion website i changed details around to see what was cheapest. Obviously i found graphic designer to be cheapest. I didnt think it was much of an issue. I have found out the hard way. I have just spoken to another department and they confirmed that the insurance underwriter southern rock VOIDED my insurance due to then finding various quotes on their system and me going for the cheapest one.
    They said im now liable for the costs incurred to the insurance.
    I am so stressed right now. I dont know what to do. I havent got a leg to stand on have i. Can i still get help from someone.
  • paddyandstumpypaddyandstumpy Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have a leg to stand on.
  • edited 1 June 2018 at 11:18AM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June 2018 at 11:18AM
    If this is going down the voided from inception due to a fraudulent application route that leaves op in deep !!!!.

If that is the case then :
    Being chased for the cost of the third party damages.
    Difficult to get (any) insurance anywhere and what is available will be at an horrendous price.
  • garth549garth549 Forumite
    485 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I do feel sorry for you as I'm guessing you didn't realise how serious the implications potentially are of being dishonest on an insurance quote

You don't really have any options as far as I can see. The fact that you got quotes with your correct occupation but then took out a cheaper policy with the wrong occupation proves that it was deliberate misrepresentation which allows them to void the policy.

Was the insurance still active at the time of the accident (ie wasn't voided yet)? If so then it's marginally better as your insurance will have to pay the third party but they will likely take you to court to claim this outlay back.

If it wasn't active then your sister will potentially have a court claim directly from the third party. If this includes a claim for PI then this part of the debt can never wiped, even with bankruptcy. She could also potentially be prosecuted for driving without valid insurance. I don't suppose she has another policy that may cover the third party does she? (does she have her own car?)

So all you can really do is sit and hope that your insurance pays the third party but doesn't bother taking you to court (unlikely I'm afraid, unless they think there's no chance of recovering anything)
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kshah786 wrote: »
    It says on their website that they ask all these documents for proof. Its not like they randomly chose me for a check. They do it to all customers. That's what it says on insurance website.

They "Randomly" validated you as their system is designed to flag up customers who run quotes through on different occupations and then take out the cheapest.

They are also likely to have read this forum so will know the full details now.

Your best bet is to be truthfull with them, you picked one of the worst Insurers to do this on
    113 Posts
    The accident happened on 25th of may and the cancellation date was 31st may which was yesterday. The insurance said they will keep the insurance premium and put it towards other partys claim. Should they pay for the 3rd party claim because my sister was insured at the time of the accident. The insurance was only voided yesterday 31st may. I dont care if my car is written off. I just can't afford to pay for the 3rd partys repair and Personal injury.

I have not slept since yesterday. Its i didnt think it would make this much difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Kshah786 wrote: »
    Im just going to be completely honest now and not bend the truth. On the comparion website i changed details around to see what was cheapest. Obviously i found graphic designer to be cheapest. I didnt think it was much of an issue. I have found out the hard way. I have just spoken to another department and they confirmed that the insurance underwriter southern rock VOIDED my insurance due to then finding various quotes on their system and me going for the cheapest one.
    They said im now liable for the costs incurred to the insurance.
    I am so stressed right now. I dont know what to do. I havent got a leg to stand on have i. Can i still get help from someone.
    What sort of help are you looking for? You have committed fraud, intentionally, and have been caught. The outcome is unlikely to be good, and it will have to be declared for the rest of your life.

The best outcome will be that they will reduce the award by the fractional amount that you underpaid, or that they let you pay the additional premium and agree to cover you, but I have no idea how likely that is.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides