EDF to Ebico Zero Tarriff - A good move?

biggysmaller
biggysmaller Posts: 235
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
Forumite
I switched over to EDF last year and it has been a disaster from the word go. Despite providing them with photos of my meters they still managed to swap over my neighbours meter instead of mine. I have been screaming for a bill since I joined. however, a bill was finally generated 7 months after I joined because of a catalog of errors leading to a meter block.
So I received my bill this week and it's coming in around £48 a month for dual fuel which is damn expensive for one person using minimal electric and gas!
My niggle is that a sizable chunk of my bill is made up of standing charges.
Has anyone on here made a switch from EDF to Ebico and seen a sizable drop in their bills?
Also, if I swap to Ebico, would I be able to ask them to install a prepayment meter at any stage if I wanted to?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You need to do your own sums to see if this is a beneficial move for you.

Use your actual (not estimated reads) and in kwh (not £) EDF consumption and standing charges and similarly for EBICO. You may well find EBICO is more expensive and will certainly be so if your consumption go up for any reason.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • biggysmaller
    Forumite
    edited 30 May 2018 at 3:42PM
    Robin9 wrote: »
    You need to do your own sums to see if this is a beneficial move for you.

Use your actual (not estimated reads) and in kwh (not £) EDF consumption and standing charges and similarly for EBICO. You may well find EBICO is more expensive and will certainly be so if your consumption go up for any reason.

My annual consumption of electricity is 1100 kwh per year and 5100 kwh per year for gas.
    Ebico is calculating around 37-38 pounds per month. So it is cheaper.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 May 2018 at 3:54PM
    If you're moving to Ebico to avoid standing charges you may find cheaper bills elsewhere. I use 3243kwh annually for gas and find Zog are currently cheaper than Ebico despite Zogs 12.6p per day standing charge.

Do a search based on annual consumption in kwh, this info should be on your bills.

Search for both separate suppliers and dual fuel as separate can often be cheaper.

I received my bill this week and it's coming in around £48 a month
    I left EDF partially because of their misleading bills, YOUR GAS BILL -£37 actually means your payments are ahead of your bill by £37, and their over then under charging DDs. They like to overcharge then trickle your overpayments back to you.

Forget the monthly DD nonsense and use the annual consumption in kwh
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    I switched over to EDF last year and it has been a disaster from the word go. Despite providing them with photos of my meters they still managed to swap over my neighbours meter instead of mine. I have been screaming for a bill since I joined. however, a bill was finally generated 7 months after I joined because of a catalog of errors leading to a meter block.
    So I received my bill this week and it's coming in around £48 a month for dual fuel which is damn expensive for one person using minimal electric and gas!
    Has anyone on here made a switch from EDF to Ebico and seen a sizable drop in their bills?
    Also, if I swap to Ebico, would I be able to ask them to install a prepayment meter at any stage if I wanted to?

Double check your figures.

If you are spending £48 a month on fuel, that's almost £600 a year ... so yes you are a lower than average user.

But which EDF tariff are you on that charges standing charges that are a sizable chunck of £600 per annum? I'm not aware of any.

In answer to your question about requesting a PPM meter installed, yes Ebico could arrage this f this is what you really want (and you are supplied by them)
    But you are aware the Ebico zero tariff is for credit metered customers only, arn't you?
  • biggysmaller
    Forumite
    If you're moving to Ebico to avoid standing charges you may find cheaper bills elsewhere. I use 3243kwh annually for gas and find Zog are currently cheaper than Ebico despite Zogs 12.6p per day standing charge.

Do a search based on annual consumption in kwh, this info should be on your bills.

Search for both separate suppliers and dual fuel as separate can often be cheaper.

I left EDF partially because of their misleading bills, YOUR GAS BILL -£37 actually means your payments are ahead of your bill by £37, and their over then under charging DDs. They like to overcharge then trickle your overpayments back to you.

Forget the monthly DD nonsense and use the annual consumption in kwh

Thanks. ZOGS tarrif is a huge saving for my gas!
    Can you recommend a similar supplier but for electricity?
  • Shavuot
    edited 30 May 2018 at 6:52PM

No, but I have often found cheaper suppliers than Zog (and that was before they stuffed their prices up) ;)

I don't think Zog will be too accomodating if you say you want a PPM installed either.

Follow the advice given here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm with Iresa but I'm not sure I'd recommend them:rotfl:
  • Shavuot
    I'm with Iresa but I'm not sure I'd recommend them:rotfl:

No point recommending them to new customers as they are not accepting any at present.

But they are cheap, but only for electric. I am led to believe they will be accepting new customers again in 4 weeks time.

Anyone looking to switch electric may be well advised to wait 4 weeks. Hopefully they'll still have the same tariffs available as they do today for existing customers coming to the end of an even cheaper fix.

There does seem an awful lot of MSE'ers with them - MSE'ers obviously can spot a good deal when they see one ... and then winge about them til the cows come home on MSE.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    They can be if your a low electricity user,however gas price they made no difference for me in credit smart meter then other suppliers.Bbico were unable to take over the smart function leading to an abandoned move .I decided to stay with a major supplier because of meter servicing in the future that can arise.Ebico were good with the SSE partnership as there was major backup for battery operated prepayment meter's for example.

You need to work the figures out possibly taking one fuel but if a smart meter is fitted then functionality could be lost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure