Options
2»

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    The engineer said he couldn’t find any faults. He also said it’s impossible to have a burning smell inside the drum because ‘there’s water in there’.

I’m not sure what to do now. I’m scared to keep using it in case it causes a fire. Curry’s will probably refuse to exchange it since Hotpoint say it fine. Am I stuck with it? Is there anything I can do?

It could possibly be the seals rubbing. Try doing a load with a lower spin speed and see if it's any different.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ve managed to narrow it down a bit. It only happens when using the high spin speed but it doesn’t happen every single time. It’s just randomly. It doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a small or large load. Is there anything I can do about this? I don’t know how to prove it to Hotpoint or Curry’s. Would it still be seen as a fault even though it doesn’t happen every time?

It’s just frustrating being unable to use the fast spin in case I end up having to rewash everything because of this burning smell. They also take longer to dry.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can still reject it under CRA 2015. Up to 6m, the fault can be presumed to have pre-existed (so you don't have to prove the fault). However with an intermittent fault this is tricky, and DSG will do all they can to wriggle out of accepting liability. You need to put it in writing that the fault is still present,and not be fobbed off with further offers to inspect/repair.
    Next time, don't buy from DSG, and don't buy a Hotpoint...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Next time, don't buy from DSG, and don't buy a Hotpoint...

What’s DSG? Is that Curry’s?

They are refusing to do anything unless I get an independent report from an engineer confirming the fault. That won’t be practical since it’s intermittent. I did mention the consumer rights act but they said it doesn’t apply because their engineer checked it and found no fault with it. Is that true?
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    What’s DSG? Is that Curry’s?

They are refusing to do anything unless I get an independent report from an engineer confirming the fault. That won’t be practical since it’s intermittent. I did mention the consumer rights act but they said it doesn’t apply because their engineer checked it and found no fault with it. Is that true?

See here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixons_Retail
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If the seller has inspected the goods and says they cannot find a fault then it falls to the consumer to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that the fault exists. (i.e. the burden of proof switches to the consumer, much the same as if a fault is reported after 6 months).

The (reasonable) cost of such a report would be refundable by the seller as long as it clearly states (in the opinion of the engineer, and on the balance of probabilities) that the fault exists and was inherent (existed at the time of sale but not necessarily apparent).

Therefore what Currys have told you is correct.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Er...

You'll be ok without them unless you move house - the bolts go back in to keep everything stable in transit.

I have moved washing mahcines many times without the bolts. No issue.

I think it's more for initial delivery / mass transit where less care is taken.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2018 at 5:18PM
    Options
    But it's still quite bizzare to throw them away after the installers have told you to keep them...
    Most retailers at this point would adopt a more reasonable approach, but Curry's aren't named as the UK's worst retailers for nothing...
    OP can still pursue a claim without invoking CRA 2015, but it's a lot harder and more drawn-out.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport