Canada Trip

Hello, my partner & I are off to Canada in a couple of weeks. We have not yet ordered our cash and sorted our credit cards. We have not been abroad in a few years. We have heard of people using credit cards that have been topped up with a set amount of credit. Is there an advantage in doing this ?. Is it something our current credit card provider could help us arrange ?. Or is it just as effective to use our regular credit cards ?. Any help/advice would be very welcome.

TerryP

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Get a Starling bank account.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Preloading a credit card as you suggest is against the terms and conditions.

No CC company would condone that practice.

AS above - get a "user friendly" debit card like Starling, or a credit card like Barclaycard Travel Platinum or Halifax Clarity.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the OP was asking about pre-paid credit cards, not loading a normal credit card with a credit balance. Pre-paid credit cards can be useful if you feel that the exchange rate is going to become much more unfavourable before you travel. If you think rates will stay about the same or improve, you might a well just use your existing credits cards.

Your existing credit card company may have a pre-paid credit card product, but if not, they won't be able to help you at all.

Make sure you have at least two credit cards with plenty of available balance in case of emergencies.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • TerryP
    TerryP Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I think the OP was asking about pre-paid credit cards, not loading a normal credit card with a credit balance. Pre-paid credit cards can be useful if you feel that the exchange rate is going to become much more unfavourable before you travel. If you think rates will stay about the same or improve, you might a well just use your existing credits cards.

Your existing credit card company may have a pre-paid credit card product, but if not, they won't be able to help you at all.

Make sure you have at least two credit cards with plenty of available balance in case of emergencies.

Thank you for your concise reply. That is all I needed to know. I think we will just be using our existing Credit Cards, the credit limit on each will be fine.

TerryP
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do not get cash out of an ATM on a credit card, it will be expensive,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts