New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Personal injury trust?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 356 views
Jodieb86Jodieb86 Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I’ve got a ongoing personal injury claim. Since late 2016

As time goes on it’s looking more likely to be a substantial amount.

Since the accident I’ve had x2 interim payments of £1000

When I get the final settlement will I be able to open a trust or is it too late as I’ve had the interim payments?

I work but do get some housing/Council tax benefit and working tax credits? Will these benefits be affected?

Thanks

Replies

• HappyHarryHappyHarry Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Jodieb86 wrote: »
    I’ve got a ongoing personal injury claim. Since late 2016

As time goes on it’s looking more likely to be a substantial amount.

Since the accident I’ve had x2 interim payments of £1000

When I get the final settlement will I be able to open a trust or is it too late as I’ve had the interim payments?

I work but do get some housing/Council tax benefit and working tax credits? Will these benefits be affected?

Thanks

How much is a substantial amount?

You are likely to lose housing benefit and council tax reduction if you have more than £16,000 in your name.

I believe that you can create a personal injury trust within 12 months of receiving the first payment. However, you should have a solicitor representing your case, so they will be the best person to ask about a trust.

Is such a trust moral? I expect you're going to get a few comments on that aspect.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Jodieb86Jodieb86 Forumite
    2 posts
    HappyHarry wrote: »
    How much is a substantial amount?

You are likely to lose housing benefit and council tax reduction if you have more than £16,000 in your name.

I believe that you can create a personal injury trust within 12 months of receiving the first payment. However, you should have a solicitor representing your case, so they will be the best person to ask about a trust.

Is such a trust moral? I expect you're going to get a few comments on that aspect.

It has been over 12 months already so that will probably be that then :/ My solicitors didn’t really seem to know anything about benefits

I’m not sure on the amount yet, but the dentistry has been expensive and likely to need doing again every 3/5 years because it’s my front teeth so the medical expert says lots of work in the future