Self-Level over Ply? Or rip it up?

Options
I've just chiselled up a load of broken floor tiles from our bathroom....so I'm down to a plywood subfloor with a fair amount of adhesive left on (which I could scrape off).

The toilet, sink and shower are all installed over the tiles, so I haven't done anything about them yet.

Question for you please.

Is my best bet to just dry it out and get some self-leveller over the top - that way I can leave the fittings in situ and just level the floor?

Or do I need to pull up and replace the ply (how I cut it is another question)

Complete DIY novice by the way. And its the only bathroom in the house, so I need to make a quick decision.

Thank you

S13:beer:

Comments

• sundin13
    sundin13 Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick, hopeful, bump before I head to screwfix this afternoon.

:)

Can I add that I don’t think there is any chance of me lifting the shower tray to redo under it, so regardless of whether I self level or re-ply, it’ll only go up to the edge of the (curved)tray. :o
  • traineepensioner
    traineepensioner Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 May 2018 at 10:12AM
    Options
    sundin13 wrote: »
    I've just chiselled up a load of broken floor tiles from our bathroom....so I'm down to a plywood subfloor with a fair amount of adhesive left on (which I could scrape off).

The toilet, sink and shower are all installed over the tiles, so I haven't done anything about them yet.

Question for you please.

Is my best bet to just dry it out and get some self-leveller over the top - that way I can leave the fittings in situ and just level the floor?

Or do I need to pull up and replace the ply (how I cut it is another question)

Complete DIY novice by the way. And its the only bathroom in the house, so I need to make a quick decision.

Thank you

S13:beer:

For a quick job, providing the plywood sub floor is still in good condition, I would be tempted to just scrape of the old adhesive and refix new floor tiles with a decent waterproof, flexible tile adhesive. A better job would be to install hardiebacker boards over the ply before laying the tiles (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZNltmI0Ts)
    No longer trainee :o
    Retired in 2012 (54) :)
    State pension due 2024 (66) :(
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    I'd say self-level if it doesn't bring the floor height up too much. When we ripped up the tiles in our downstairs hall the guy who installed our new laminate floor self-levelled the whole thing as it would have taken ages to get all of the adhesive off the ply and he needed to level off a few spots in the living/dining room at the same time anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure