PayPal fee & strange breakdown of bill

Options
Ok it's not an eBay sale but i couldn't find anywhere to post this and since PayPal and eBay often go hand-in-hand that's why i'm here.

I recently bought something online. I tried to pay via card which for some reason wouldn't work so i paid via PayPal.

I'm looking at the bill now...

Purchase total £27.71 GBP
VAT £6.48 GBP
Postage £4.17 GBP
Packaging & Insurance ... £0
Gross amount £38.36
PayPal fee -£1.31
Net amount £37.05

So i was thinking oh i must've paid £37.05 after getting a bit of PayPal discount. I'd never heard of it before, i never saw it mentioned on the site but i can't knock a bit of discount so happy days.

Now i'm not complaining that i was charged this amount as at the end of the day A) it's only £1.31 and B) i expected to pay the full £38.36 anyway.

The reason i'm here is to try understand what this whole 'PayPal fee' of -£1.31 is, why it's there, how it brought the net down but i paid the gross as that doesn't make sense to me.

Someone please explain....

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The £1.31 is the fee the seller of the item had to pay PayPal. Is the bill from the seller? It seems a bit odd telling you how much they got from the sale after PayPal fees.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The receipt looks like it might be a PayPal transaction receipt. There's no heading to it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure