CCA Questions

in Debt-free wannabe
3 replies 499 views
Hi
Two things, before starting our DMP I've sent off the CCA for my MBNA card. I've not heard anything back yet but it was only last week. I didn't send it by recorded delivery, just by normal first class post. If I don't hear back I wont know whether it's because they've not got it or because they're looking for the original agreement. Should I re-send after a while if I hear nothing? I've heard people normally get an initial acknowledgement from the company but not sure how long that takes.

Also, I've told Barclays we are in difficulties and they have written giving us the standard 30 days time when they wont bother us. I'm now wondering whether I should send the CCA off for those accounts but would now be bad timing? Should I wait until we have advised them of a dmp and are making token payments?

I worry a lot about timing.
Thanks,
Now Inspired

Replies

• Suseka97Suseka97 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not all will acknowledge receipt of your request, so not hearing from them doesn't necessarily mean they've not received it. It a bit of a waiting game, just stop paying them and wait and see what happens - don't chase them.

As for sending CCAs to Barclays - I'm not sure how successful people are when doing so with the original creditor direct. I would have thought they would hold all the necessary paperwork to prove a debt enforceable.

My understanding of the 'CCA exercise' is that it's usually done when your account has been passed to a DCA and only after a period of time has lapsed. Folks use an unenforceable situation as leverage for discounts, or to stop paying and prioritise those that are enforceable. Its a personal choice.
  • edited 28 May 2018 at 9:25PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 May 2018 at 9:25PM
    You can do it at any time as long as a balance is still outstanding on the account.

I have known debts only 2 years old with non compliant paperwork, and also a 10 year old debt to one creditor who managed to produce the exact original document, so there is no clear cut path here.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Summer12Summer12 Forumite
    103 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I sent my requests before missing a single payment. You may well be surprised at just how little documentation original creditors can produce. Then you will know who to include in the dmp and who you can exclude (if that is your preference)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals