Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

EU Minimum legal car insurance cover

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

EU Minimum legal car insurance cover

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
8 replies 1.1K views
keepthegreenkeepthegreen Forumite
77 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
It is my understanding that UK car insurance policies cover you in the EU to the minimum legal requirement in the EU country as standard. Does this apply to the full term of the policy however?

I see that many policies state a maximum amount of covered days and also single trip limits but is this limit simply for the additional protection above the legal minimum required? Or is it for all cover?

In other words if I drive in the EU over the stated trip or annual duration limits am I still covered for third party liability?
Author at The Dogly Mail website - Dog news, advice, events and discussion.

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

If your insured for 30 days abroad and you exceed that then you wont be covered. You need a policy to cover the time you spend abroad.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Thanks. I guess Stuart Collins it is then.
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an EU law that motor insurance from any member state provides the minimum legal requirement cover in any member state.

So yes you would be covered.

However if you are exceeding your own Insurers "Time limit" for them providing full cover eg the same cover as in the UK. It can become murky depending on the reason you are exceeding their limit.

For instance if you exceed the 30 days because you have moved out of the UK permanently there is the chance the Insurer may try and cancel the policy if / when they discover the move.

You have not given very many details so it is difficult to advise you.

I assume you are moving permanently or for a long period because you are aware of Stuart Collins and also because you are not chosing an Insurer with a longer "full cover" in Europe eg Saga or Aviva
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The basic cover is equivalent to the UK's Road Traffic Act cover.

All that does is cover the third party But the insurer will then come after you to recompense them for what they had to pay out. It can be eye watering if there are any medical bills as well.
    21.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unforeseen wrote: »
    The basic cover is equivalent to the UK's Road Traffic Act cover.

All that does is cover the third party But the insurer will then come after you to recompense them for what they had to pay out. It can be eye watering if there are any medical bills as well.

The policy provides minimum cover in EU (Etc) countries 365 days a year. The OP has not specified the reasons they need more than their Insurers limits for full cover eg comprehensive if this is the cover they have in the UK.

To withdraw the 365 day minimum cover is not an easy process for the Insurer and is likely to require them to demonstrate some type of non disclosure.

Many Insurers do not mind you exceeding their maximum full cover (And relying on the minimum cover) for a few weeks.

The OP needs to clarify their exact situation
  • I am not moving permanently. My partner has moved to Slovakia so I am visiting for extended periods beyond the length of cover offered by traditional insurers (90 days with my existing insurer). Fortunately my occupation allows me the flexibility to do so. Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with a Stuart Collins policy.
  • I should probably mention I also considered Saga but can't due to being under 50. I wasn't aware Aviva offered extended cover but 90 days single trip limit might cut it fine in some cases.
    21.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should probably mention I also considered Saga but can't due to being under 50. I wasn't aware Aviva offered extended cover but 90 days single trip limit might cut it fine in some cases.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but the Aviva product through brokers offered quote a long cover outside the UK but also had the benefit of free RAC cover while you were in Europe (You paid if you wanted UK cover)