Say No to Credit Cards Diary

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,615 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good luck with the ebaying.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • allthe7s
    allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I paid £128 off my catalogue this morning as I got an email to say the statement was ready, feel so good, minimum payment was £52 so a good chunk more :)
    Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020
  • lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning Say No to Credit Cards and everyone who is following.
    Well done on not using your credit cards what a huge step. I unfortunately used mine yesterday on a shed for my daughter. Oh I did give myself a good mindset beating up, but plan to try and pay it off next month.
    Hope your e baying and de-cluttering is going well, and congratulations on going to the bank with all the change from the house and cars.
    Your enthusiasm is really encouraging thank you x
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • Say_No_to_Credit_Cards
    Options
    HI Everybody,

Just stopped for a quick coffee. I really do have some junk in this house, but that is going to change.

enthusiasticsaver - Thank you for dropping by and sending me luck with ebay. Once I get started I really do not mind doing it. Especially when your phone pings with that sound of a sale.

allthe7s - Thanks for dropping in. That payment is amazing, and it does feel good when you pay more than the minimum payment. We can do it and lets hope there is more overpayments this month for both of us.

lindez - Thank you for dropping in and reading all my waffle. I am made up I have not used any of the cards for a full month now. If you are going to pay the shed money next month that is not much of a problem. The problems start when you dont think about spending the money on a credit card and then paying it back never crosses your mind. That is when there is a problem, so I would not beat yourself up about it. Decluttering is going great. I just keep asking myself the question Why did I not start this before now, but that is life.

I have two birthdays next week that I always buy presents for. I usually spend £20 - £25 each. However, not this year. This morning I have gone and found two gift bags ( used ones ) and two cards that I had already in the house. For some reason everybody buys my wine and candles and I have cupboards full of them all still in boxes. So I have put a nice bottle of wine in each gift bag with a Yankee candle out of the cupboard. At first I felt quite bad about it but then thought about the £50 I had saved and thought go for it girl, needs must. I just made sure the people that gave me the candles were not the same people I was gifting them too.

I feel bad saying this but two birds one stone comes to mind, decluttering and saving cash at the same time!

Has anybody else done this to save some cash?

Right coffee break over back to the decluttering and ebaying. Life it so good:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Take care
    Extra Income May £290.92 June £498.00 July £145.61 Aug 2018 £142.68
    Pay off CC3 Sept/Oct 2018 £2112.04 Balance £1712.89
    April 2018 £39,942 Aug 18 £36721.65 PAID £3220.35:j:j:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I dont drink wine so always regift it! I just think the person who bought me the wine has actually bought me future time and money! I usually take them as host gifts for parties haha
  • allthe7s
    allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    I always regift unwanted presents or things I won't use.

People at work get through a lot of hand cream doing manual work so I can palm (no pun intended lol) hand cream gifts off on them!
    Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes as I am a candle snob and can't stand Yankee candles , so they always get regifted. Hand cream I love so keep that. I think it's ok and you have saved money .
  • Say_No_to_Credit_Cards
    Options
    Well you have put my mind at easy now.

Thank you for your replies Cumbria lass, allthe7s and hannh. I was so happy to read your replies and don't feel half as bad now. I just keep thinking of the £50 it has saved me. My next birthdays are July and there is two of them so I may do the same again. I am loving this decluttering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice evening everybody
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,615 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes I regift unwanted or unneeded presents.

We have put a stop to presents for all our friends now though and everyone except close family and children. Xmas and birthdays are so much more relaxed. Obviously we did this via negotiation. Most of us agreed it was just a faff to think what each other needed or wanted as we are all adults now and buy stuff as and when needed. We do meals out together or the odd cinema or theatre trip though with us all paying for ourselves.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Say_No_to_Credit_Cards
    Options
    Good Morning Everybody,

enthusiasticsaver - Thank yo so much for your help. I have decided this re-gifting is the way to go. As the items were new and was all given to me at Christmas. But, saving £50 on two presents should not be walked away from. I have decided to do the same for the two birthdays in July. I wish my family would do the same as yours has. I have mentioned this in the past but nobody wanted to do it. My brothers all have grown up children and some of them have children themselves, so the numbers are going up and up. Last Christmas I spent so much less than I have in years gone by, to try and cut down on the expense. Well this year everybody will be getting Christmas Yankee candles out of the cupboard!

Had a great sort out yesterday, put some on ebay, some to the charity shop and some went in the car boot sale boxes. I just hope I have enough stuff sorted out to go the car boot sale this weekend.

I made £28.43 after fees and postage on ebay over the weekend. It was very slow but I think that was because the weather was so nice. The total extra income made in June £110.99, I am so happy with that.

Everything else is ticking away nicely. Nobody in the house has noticed that I am spending so much less on food, I find it very strange but that is young adults and husbands for you!

Off to work now. I have asked for some overtime this month so I will find out today if I have been given any when I go in today.

Take care everybody
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business