Discounted train tickets on Christmas Eve

Options
Hello

This is my first post... so please be gentle with me!

I'm trying to book a train ticket from Birmingham New Street to Penrith in the Lake District on Christmas Eve. I'm a bit tight and resent paying £49.50 for a ticket. :eek: I've been looking for the discounted tickets that are offered and there are none available on Christmas Eve at the moment. Does anyone know if there are likely to be any released or would they all have gone by now? I thought I was being organised trying to book early!

If there aren't any discounted tickets, any advice on getting a cheaper ticket somehow??

Thanks

Comments

• milkfloatquack
    Options
    occasionally it's significantly cheaper to buy 2 separate tickets - so in your instance, look into whether buying tickets birmingham/preston then preston/penrith say would be cheaper than the 49.50. If there's no discounted tickets available, then I would assume they have all gone.
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    If you get a standard single to Preston (£31) and change there, there are currently TPE advance singles to Penrith from £6.50. Even a cheap day single is £13.50 so would save you a bit and is also valid on Virgin trains as well as TPE
  • shelby69
    Options
    Thanks to you both for your advice! I thought that I would hold out a bit longer.... and my patience has been rewarded! Some more discounted tickets have appeared on the trainline's website and I've now got a ticket from Brum to Penrith for £12 on Christmas Eve! Bargain!

Thanks again x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport