Financially assisting a parent to retire

Options

Comments

• Locoblade
    Locoblade Posts: 795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    No, I've been letting my loans there just repay for years. Try Ablrate and Unbolted. Ablrate has an ISA, so no income tax, Unbolted doesn't, but use at least two places, better four or five. Those two are a good start, though.

She'll have both the personal savings allowance and the starting rate for savings to use as well, so interest should be free of tax for her even without ISA use.

Brynsam is right about the pension. 25% of the £3,600 is tax free, the remaining £2,700 is taxable income. In her case no tax on that either so £720 a year of free money until she reaches 75 and is no longer allowed to make pension contributions.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Is that pension thing something she can do every year up to 75 or just for a maximum of 3 tax years in that period as Brynsam suggests? Either way it's worth doing.
    My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173
  • Locoblade
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    The best investment she can make - and probably a better investment than you can make - is to suspend her old age pension for about five years. When she restarts it it will be 52% bigger. You should check but I suspect that even then it won't fill her Personal Allowance against income tax.

She's only working enough hours at the moment to top up her pension, if she deferred it entirely she'd have to work a lot more for the next few years which is defeating the end goal of allowing her to enjoy her early retirement years.

Totally with you regarding formalizing it and keeping siblings etc informed and on side, we're pretty close as a family so wouldn't want to risk creating friction.
    My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Locoblade wrote: »
    Is that pension thing something she can do every year up to 75 or just for a maximum of 3 tax years in that period as Brynsam suggests? Either way it's worth doing.

Sorry, unclear post! Your mum can pay in up to £2,880 (£3,600 with tax reclaimed by the provider) or 100% of her earnings, if higher, each year until she is 75. She can 'cash in' a pot worth up to £10,000 on grounds of triviality and can do that up to 3 times.

25% of each pot is tax free. If she is on a low income, some (or all) of the rest of the pot will also be tax free, up to the personal allowance in the tax year in which she takes the cash.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She has around ~£20k in savings and a full state pension, she did the Pension Credit calculator and if she gave up work completely it would be about £4/week which isn't nearly enough.

Have you done a full MSE on her outgoings? she may, like many older people, not be getting the best deal on insurance, utilities etc. she could free up cash that way?
  • Locoblade
    edited 24 May 2018 at 2:06PM
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Sorry, unclear post! Your mum can pay in up to £2,880 (£3,600 with tax reclaimed by the provider) or 100% of her earnings, if higher, each year until she is 75. She can 'cash in' a pot worth up to £10,000 on grounds of triviality and can do that up to 3 times.

25% of each pot is tax free. If she is on a low income, some (or all) of the rest of the pot will also be tax free, up to the personal allowance in the tax year in which she takes the cash.

Thanks, so just to ensure I'm getting it (it's me not you!), with no income from working she could pay £2880 annually from her savings pot into a stakeholder pension for the next 3 years to get that up to £10k (£3600x3), she'd then withdraw a £10k lump sum from the pension pot (which I guess would attract some tax in that tax year when added to her state pension income) then repeat the process another 2 times whilst she's under 75?
  • Locoblade
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Have you done a full MSE on her outgoings? she may, like many older people, not be getting the best deal on insurance, utilities etc. she could free up cash that way?

Thanks, worth looking at but to be fair she's pretty astute at that kind of stuff, she gets all the regular money saving tips from this website and is always messaging me telling me the latest that Martin has said on TV about saving a few quid on utility bills etc, its just the bigger picture of making what money she has work for her better that she (and me to an extent) don't really have a handle on.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks, so just to ensure I'm getting it (it's me not you!), with no income from working she could pay £2880 annually from her savings pot into a stakeholder pension for the next 3 years to get that up to £10k (£3600x3), she'd then withdraw a £10k lump sum from the pension pot (which I guess would attract some tax in that tax year when added to her state pension income) then repeat the process another 2 times whilst she's under 75?

she can only pay in till 75. She can take as long as she likes to draw it down again so no need to incur any tax if she keeps below the basic rate tax band for all income including pensions
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Locoblade
    Options
    Ah OK, got you :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much does she actually need a month to live on . Considering she has no mortgage.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Locoblade
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    How much does she actually need a month to live on . Considering she has no mortgage.

A couple of hundred per month on top of her state pension, not a massive amount hence why the suggestions of using her savings to generate more income via p2p lending etc might work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure