Back paying lost NI years?

Options
13»

Comments

• janbeno
    janbeno Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I appreciate the idea regarding the Class 2 stamps, but I don't think I will go down that route . I got in touch with the Gateway and I have a phone appointment to speak to someone regarding the back payments .

As I said I have some money from a triviality pension so basically I will use that. A sort of reverse of the COPE...I will use the money to buy more years. It's been sitting in an ISA until I decided what to do with it.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you earn any money through seld employement during a year you count as self employed from the date you first register as such, That may make you liable to pay NI contributions - class 2 and/or class 4.
    If you would be required to pay class 2 NICs but you earn less than a a certain amount you can claim the small earnings exemption and avoid paying, but you are allowed to not do that and voluntarily pay class 2 NICs,

You aren't claiming a benefit. You are voluntarily paying more. Everything is declared and done openly, so there is no fraud.

I have been registered as self-employed since 2014, but my income comes from property and there are special rules for that. I am close to the borderline for being eligable to pay and am attempting to pay for last tx year. This tax year I have done some work that definitly qualifies. I will only get a few hundred for it , but that should give me the option to pay class 2 if I am unable to do so for last year. I only need one more year to get the full SP.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I invigilate at the local school and invigilators are specifically mentioned as the type of person who could claim self employment. My school will not hire self employed but they insist everyone is an employee (presumably easier child protection checking). 2 weeks a year, or so, I trigger NI payments so cannot pay as I go to smooth the back payments. Phoned up last month to pay 16/17 (feeling flush and did not want it to mount up) and the clerk said "Oh an invigilator, you must be self-employed". Gnashing of teeth.
    Had previously thought of going down the EBay trader a couple of years ago but decided not to.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    But, I am employed and they do take NI off me on occasions.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OldBeanz wrote: »
    But, I am employed and they do take NI off me on occasions.

I was just pointing out the special rule that is probably why they assumed you were self-employed.
  • janbeno
    janbeno Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have just spoken to an HMRC rep on the phone. He confirmed my figures were correct for boosting my pension as all you nice people have pointed out. He asked if I was likely to work in the next 4 years up to my retirement. I said no as my hubby has Parkinsons and he medically retired 2 years ago. He asked if I claimed Carers Allowance, but as hubby doesn't get Attendance allowance I wouldn't be able to claim . He then told me about the Carers Credit, whereby I could still be credited with NI stamps even though I don't claim carers allowance.

I have downloaded the form and it needs signing by a health professional that knows him. Hopefully I will be able to claim for the next 4 years and only pay for the previous 7?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure