Student finance, partner earns 30k - Maintenance loan

Hi there,

I'm currently applying for student finance for a degree, and am unsure as to how much maintenance loan I would qualify for? I'm planning to study full time and attend in the week at the university so am hoping for a maintenance grant to help with the costs of having to give up my part time job (they won't work around the hours).

My husbands set wage is 30k, any ideas on whether I would still qualify for help?

I've tried the calculator and it says yes, and then looked on some forums and they say no. So anyone who has recently applied with similar circumstances and can give any info on what I might be entitled to would be appreciated.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,767
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    If you are eligible then you would get a loan for all of your tuition fees and some maintenance. There is a minimum level that is non means tested, though I wouldn't have thought £30k was high enough to rule out all the means tested element.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

This is the link to the.gov.uk student finance calculator. There are no longer any maintenance grants.

The only grants still around are for childcare expenses, parental learning allowance and adult dependants, if applicable. These 3 grants are completely income based. More info can be found here:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/extra-help

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure