PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Persimmon Homes Nightmare

Options
Hi All,

Just raising awareness on this and hopefully help guide people who are looking at purchasing an house from Persimmon Homes.

We originally went to a development in West Yorkshire right at the beginning of the build, the house was just released and understandably they wanted to make the biggest margin so the offer was quite tight, the only thing that stopped the sale going through was the difference between half and full stamp duty.

The property hasn't sold (None of the larger ones have!) So we contacted them again after noticing it had been reduced by over £10k and it was due to be fully completed within a month. We began negotiations again and all in all including the reduction in price we'd got over £30k better deal. So started proceed. Here's where it gets tricky!

Only after paying the reservation fee and handing over all of our details, they started listing some caveats, Namely having to use their mortgage broker & their solicitors with the main driver being they can get it completed quicker than anyone else and Persimmon had control over the process. We challenged this and even before their broker 'New Homes' had even called us we'd had an mortgage offer delivered to us... All in between this getting constant calls getting harassed from Persimmons that her sales director isn't happy with our mortgage broker choice even though we had written commitments for it to complete with 6 weeks.

So we went in to see them, she now proceeded to tell us that there was 2 bell pits within 20 metres of our property (Either side) and on the map it was clear the entire development was full of them. She only told us this a week and half after signing up...All along the way of still pressuring us to use their solicitors....

A week later we went in to discuss our finishes and extras (Still being hounded about their mortgage broker who still hadn't been in touch and their solicitors). We then asked about building a conservatory to which she said you have to ask us for permission for this (The property isn't lease hold) and then proceeded to tell us about certain covenants that's in place on the development even to the degree that if you had a branded commercial vehicle (Such as working for RAC) that had livery on it, it wasn't allowed to be parked anywhere on the development...

We walked away a bit disturbed by the time of the information she gave us about the bell pits, the covenants and the pressure to we were getting to use their solicitor and mortgage broker...A quick google and long behold we found similar horror stories online against other developments with Persimmons.

So finally we called them the following morning and informed them that we'd be using our own solicitors as we are concerned about the bell pits, the land, the covenants and the timing on how they released this information instead of being up front with it at the time of reservation... she didn't even bother to call back sent me a horrible text message and cancelled our reservation with no explanation or anything.

In summary things to check before proceeding with these guys

Check the covenants
Asked for land information prior to reservation (They have the plans in the office already!)
Tell them right at the start if you don't want to use their solicitors and mortgage broker, don't be pressured into it and make it clear right from the start.

I've never come across such a service, how arrogant and horrible they've been during this process. All I can say is watch out!

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty terrible process.

Well done on insisting using your own broker and solicitor, and also on shaming them here.

With property prices no longer steadily rising, and demand cooling off rapidly, I think these developers may have to start upping their game and thinking of purchasers as valued customers instead of vermin.
  • hunnie
    hunnie Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A lot of new estates have that restriction on commercial vehicles.
    My son had to put his British Gas van in the garage each night to comply but it only just fit!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I can't see how such conditions are enforceable, how snobby that no doubt RAC are good enough to recover you if you break down, or Sky to fix your broadband but you'd better not turn up living next door to one of their customers !
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The covenants are pretty normal for any modern development, so if you're looking for newbuild you're not going to avoid them by going elsewhere.
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully this thread will save someone some misery or at least equip them with helpful info that they need. :T
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was also looking at new builds, but all this talk about management fees, covenants, restrictions, I decided to stay away from them. Will buy a house which is not part of a new estate and it won't be a new build either. They can keep those for themselves.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I can't see how such conditions are enforceable, how snobby that no doubt RAC are good enough to recover you if you break down, or Sky to fix your broadband but you'd better not turn up living next door to one of their customers !

The freeholder can obtain an injunction, if necessary.

As has been said these are common in new build estates. Especially, when the houses are being marketed, the builder may well take a hard line. They are, basically, there to make it easier to sell - no Sky dishes, washing lines, vans etc which can make the estate look less attractive.

Later on, when the development is fully sold they may ease up. But, word of warning, neighbours can try to use them if they are affected by the breach. For example, the van is parked right outside their house.
  • ToastCentralUK
    Options
    Hi All, thanks for contributing to this thread. An update from my on my story. I've now found why Persimmon were so abrupt and rude with me, someone else came in and they accepted their offer which I'm just seeking advice now as technically I'd paid a deposit, began instructing solicitors and mortgage brokers. Obviously I was a pest to them, had someone else interested and cancelled my purchase.
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    be happy, they did you a solid ...
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    Narrow escape there! Wouldnt touch a new build with a 10ft barge pole.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure