PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Care Home Investments....Good Idea ?

Options
13»

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have held the Target REIT as part of an income portfolio for a couple of years.

It has paid a regular quarterly income and shown a modest capital gain.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I would say this area is a lousy investment though, for the simple reason that although the demand for these homes is growing, they are inherently expensive to run, which mean so most people can not afford them which means that inevitably government gets involved which means high costs and poor returns, by definition.

My own experience shows this too. I bought £1,000 of Southern Cross shares as they fell to a fraction of their normal price. The owners had already asset stripped the business but I was convinced they would be bailed out or taken over since they had a fair share of the market.

Two weeks later they went bust and I lost my money (it was a gamble I was prepared for at the time but I won’t poke my nose in that industry again).
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • gwjuae
    gwjuae Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    If you're looking at buying into a few different unregulated very high risk property types, pass it to a solicitor and a financial advisor first of all. If it looks too good to be true, it most likely is.

Does it offer 10% for 10 years and that sort of thing? Walk away, no, run.

Care homes, hotel rooms and student accommodation, if you're buying in cash and just a room. This will likely result in a total loss of your cash invested with little to no chance of any return.

If yields at that sort of level really were available, why on earth haven't the government or banks or large investment houses, like JP Morgan etc all bought these up?

If you really want to spend your money like that, go to a horse race, at least you'll enjoy it and have a small chance to win something!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure