PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cracks all over internal and external walls. Structural issues or settling down cracks?

Options

Comments

• Homebuyer_londonNW
    Options
    You are absolutely right. This looks like a bargain with something to hide or even the vendors are not even aware of the situation hence calling it a settlement.
  • Homebuyer_londonNW
    Options
    Thanks this makes too much sense. Now the call is to either withdraw without spending a fortune on survey and structural report or get a structural engineer to look at it.
  • Homebuyer_londonNW
    Options
    Pics link

Go to Dropbox website and add the following bit in url at the end after ‘/‘

sh/7tu9yi475pw1lde/AADoZ194cFwVPaFmjrUN0i9na?dl=0

Please remove the spaces between the link.

It wasn’t allowing me to upload the pics...as per suggestion did such trick to be able to post links. Sorry for so much trouble
  • Homebuyer_londonNW
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting the link correctly for me @Tom99.

Everyone the link that @Tom99 has posted are the pics of the house in question.

Kindly let me know if the cracks are definitely structural and if the tree will cause further damage from its roots.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's a big chunk more than just minor settlement. Walk away.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That isn't a crack in the skirting board, it's just where 2 short pieces have been joined together (not very well) :)
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I would walk away.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I doubt even a survey by a structural engineer would give you a definitive answer.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The cracks are all quite small in width but extensive in length and number, and if no further movement could be guaranteed look like they could be raked out and filled in.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The problem is you do not know how long these cracks have been there, how quickly they have developed, nor whether they will get worse over time.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A survey is likely to recommend monitoring the cracks over time before deciding what repair to suggest and maybe reduce the height of the tree.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Also since the cracks are already there you may have trouble insuring the building.[/FONT]
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am no expert and there does seem to be a lot of cracks.

However, my thoughts are that the house is 12 years old and the owners appear not to have repaired any of the cracks in that time. None of the cracks are very wide - I believe cracks that you can get your finger into are the ones which are most likely subsidence or heave, especially diagonal ones in the corners of windows. Stepped cracks are a sign of minor movement, but it's the ones which crack the entire brick through the centre that a major concern.

I don't know what type of tree that is, but my understanding would be that it is too close to the house and I think it should come down (which can cause heave, due to extra water in the ground).

If you are still keen on the property, you should consider employing a structural engineer/buildings expert to have a look and explain to them your concerns and what you want them to investigate.
  • I_Kantski
    I_Kantski Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Run for your life. That's way too many cracks for you to ever have peace of mind while living there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure