Leaving work to look after children

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very little, if any childcare is 100% subsidised . If you've got some financial support to help with this, then you need to start saving now to cover the rest. Long term you're going to be in a better position when your partner qualifies and finds work, so it's an investment in your families future. Work out your SOA (statement of affairs ie incomings and outgoings). Set yourself a budget, see where you can make cutbacks (ask on the debtfree wannabe board if you're stuck).

There's also nothing to stop you looking for a better paid job now.
  • singleandskint
    Options
    The struggle now will be worth it longer term.
    Are you not entitled to Housing Benefit? You should also be getting subsidised Council Tax if your partner is a full time student (Not sure about nursing though because of the bursary) and I'm sure somebody else will know the ins and outs in that regard.
    Personally, I wouldn't quit. You have options, look for a higher paid job whilst in your current role. Ask for a pay rise? But head over to the DFW board for hints on money saving techniques and get yourself on a benefits calculator website as I think you should be getting help with housing if you are paying childcare. I certainly do and my salary is higher than yours.
  • jane12345
    jane12345 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replys.
    Unfortunately im not entitled currently to housing benefit nor working tax credits, apparently i earn too much which i really dont understand as im on 16k.
    Child tax credit however i think i mightve got confused over so i will ask them about that.

I have had a look at benefit calculators and the results do seem to vary, is there anything to stop me applying for benefits before i hand my notice in at work to see if they are too low to live on and simply cancel the claims and stay in work? Or do i have to resign before i can apply?

Also if on jsa can i refuse a job because it pays too low or do i have to take anything available?

Would my housing benefit office ask me why i left work or do they not care on those circumstances?

Thanks
  • Vickimichelle
    Vickimichelle Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/information/working/leaving-work/

Have a read through this link as it looks like you should be able to claim income support as you have a child under 5 although I'm not sure if the student finance will effect it. Maybe see if you can get an appointment with the CAB.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/information/working/leaving-work/

Have a read through this link as it looks like you should be able to claim income support as you have a child under 5 although I'm not sure if the student finance will effect it. Maybe see if you can get an appointment with the CAB.

The OP isn't a lone parent.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jane12345 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

Its not that i wont be seeking employment, rather that i wont be seeking it for nmw. It would need to be at least 5k a year more.

Have you looked into how viable this is - how marketable is your good self, will it require a commute, working more hours possibly and unsociable hours as well to get this sort of 'reward' job security as well could be a factor to being paid slightly more. Plus you could be saddled with a job on your own in order to keep labour costs down and ensure a profit in some roles.

My town a lot of jobs are min wage as the county is also high unemploymency (well was at Jan 18) so to go outside it, whilst we might get more money it is swallowed up in transport/petrol costs so ultimately the person is only up on mimimum wage by a little - then when you add in a fixed term contract, of course the next new employer could point out that it is all proportional and no true reflection.

Years ago I remember one job centre saying I didn't have to take a one week temping job as I had a lot of interviews in that week for permanent or certain more longevity than a week roles, (got to say that ended up totally irony) whether that still exists is something I could be finding out in a couple of months as I've thought about saying no to anymore fixed term contracts. But then I am told the market has changed.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replys.
    Unfortunately im not entitled currently to housing benefit nor working tax credits, apparently i earn too much which i really dont understand as im on 16k.
    Child tax credit however i think i mightve got confused over so i will ask them about that.

I have had a look at benefit calculators and the results do seem to vary, is there anything to stop me applying for benefits before i hand my notice in at work to see if they are too low to live on and simply cancel the claims and stay in work? Or do i have to resign before i can apply?

Also if on jsa can i refuse a job because it pays too low or do i have to take anything available?

Would my housing benefit office ask me why i left work or do they not care on those circumstances?

Thanks

Also remember that as a job seeker you may be placed in a voluntary role for 'experience' for a short period. My son has a short period of unemployment after graduating and it was only a matter of weeks before he was sent as a volunteer to work at a charity shop. Luckily he was able to negotiate where he worked, originally he was placed around 20 miles away with very little public transport, but was able to move to a different placement a short bus ride away instead.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options

You could apply whilst still in work but it would be pointless as you wouldn't have any entitlement. I'm not trying to be a smart**** with that answer, it is giving an accurate reply.
    The benefits system isn't set up to show what you would be entitled to if your situation changes. The benefit calculators are the only tool I'm aware of which will give some sort of indication.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Third year nursing student? Bank work as an NA

Many MANY student nurses and student midwives will do this - I know I certainly had to (in all honesty did it probably did mean I got a 2:1 instead of a 1st, but has that hindered me? not at all)
    Especially if he's doing 12 hour shifts he can fit in extra shifts on the bank - I used to do 1-2 a week
    It is tiring but he can do it

BTW you know you get discount on council tax whilst he's a student?
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Actually just thoguht - if he's third year student nurse he's been doing these placements for the past two years - how were you coping then? Can't it still be done (most placements are understanding and will offer a degree of flexiblity to cover for child care or work - you only have to work 50% of the time with your mentor (obviously it's better if you can do more)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure