Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give a bigger wedding gift because I can't make the big day?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
A good friend's getting married and I can't go. I feel I should buy a bigger gift than planned because I'm saving on the usual outfit, travel and hotel costs - but some think I should give LESS as another guest's going in my place. What should I do?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's no reason to spend more.
    As somebody else said, spend less as you're not benefitting from the hospitality.

As it's a "good friend", just spend what you planned to spend on them and be done with it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Of course there's no reason to spend more.
    Accepting a wedding invitation isn't obligatory.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not just give what you would love to give to your friends and what they would like to receive? Why should cost of gift/what you will be saving by not going be such an important part of it?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In this situation I wouldn't give a gift at all. If you aren't going to the wedding why would you give them a gift?
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to give a gift, give one. If you don't, don't.

If I wanted to give one it would be of whatever I wanted to give (most likely same size monetarily as usual - although if I thought there was something apt for them that was more or less than my standard then I may give that)
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I've not heard of giving a gift if you're not going - where have you got the idea from that you should?

It's up to you obviously, if you want to give a gift, then do so. Give a present that you want to give - what's the cost got to do with it?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    How is this a MORAL dilemma?
  • elizabethhull
    elizabethhull Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not heard of giving a gift if you're not going - where have you got the idea from that you should?

It's up to you obviously, if you want to give a gift, then do so. Give a present that you want to give - what's the cost got to do with it?

Actually it was always the etiquette that if you were invited, you gave a present, whether you attended or not. It's lovely to be considered for an invitation, and I would always send a present if I couldn't go. I'm a little surprised that some people don't think this way any more.
    But the cost is a different matter. I'd give a present of whatever value I would have given if attending, but make it a postable present, so probably money in some form - cheque or vouchers where any wedding list is being maintained.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. Give what you can afford and no more. This is a money saving site and I cannot believe a regular user would ask such a question.
  • Katie_cake
    Options
    How about giving the gift of celebrating with the happy couple at a later date. Perhaps take them out for a meal or a similar social occasion to fit your budget or even less. This way you will still get to join in the merriment of the occasion and solve the issue of a gift.
    A lot of couples these days already have their pits and pans, this could be something they!!!8217;d appreciate and you!!!8217;ll all remember. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure