Options
124»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Think i was only 7 when my Grandad died (im now mid 50s) but i can clearly remember him showing classic signs (i now know) of dementia.

In those days it wasnt considered a medical condition it was just accepted. My grandad was very verbal with it and quite aggressive in his manner.

Mother died of it too. She was aggressive too not to me, to the carers and my brother.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Think i was only 7 when my Grandad died (im now mid 50s) but i can clearly remember him showing classic signs (i now know) of dementia.

In those days it wasnt considered a medical condition it was just accepted. My grandad was very verbal with it and quite aggressive in his manner.

Mother died of it too. She was aggressive too not to me, to the carers and my brother.

It used to be called 'gone do-lally' where I came from.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 2:57PM
    Options
    What about contacting the Alzheimer!!!8217;s Society and asking about Dementia Friends?

I have just completed my volunteer training. Taking sufferers for walks or for a coffee are popular activities.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Hillwalker11
    Hillwalker11 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Go on your holiday. A well deserved break will help you to cope when you return. It is a very difficult situation but try not to put your life on hold. My FIL went into respite care one year when we were away. He was fine apart from one night going to the kitchen and emptying the pantry by throwing everything out of the window.
    A good few years ago one of our neighbours had Alzheimer's and he used to walk miles, often being brought home by the police. On one of his wanderings he ended up on a carnival float in a village 6 miles away, another time he ended up at a wedding reception in Milton Keynes,........we live in Essex over 80 miles away!. The wedding party were wonderful and let him stay until his relatives picked him up. Although amusing this man was a very high flying aeronautical engineer who built his own plane on retirement. A very cruel disease.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    We had a letter popped through the door the day after we moved in to our old house.

It was a lovely sweet letter asking us not to be concerned at a local wandering lady. It told us all about her interesting life, conversation topics, gave numbers to call and names of local people to pop in and see to verify that she was happy and well looked after. It was respectful, sweet and well thought out.

As it was she never came by - but we were prepped if she did.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As well as the tracker, get her registered on your local police force's Herbert Protocol.
    This way if she does go missing, police will already have her details and photo etc and it will speed up the process if they need to search for her.
    poppy10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport