Shop Radio License? scammers?

Options

Comments

• aloiseb
    Options
    Please can someone get the PRS to write to the people down our road who are playing their music loud enough for the whole road to hear?
    (and no, I don't want to pay - sleep would be preferable.)
  • gordonstights
    Options
    thepearce wrote: »

They'll be after Gordon Brown next, then the Queen.

The PRS will rule the world!!!! ;)
  • BagpussBoy
    Options
    I hope I'm not alone in this, but where it just doesn't seem quite right, is that it would seem that a given performer will get royalties from the radio station to transmit the music, and again for me to "receive" it, if it meant the radio was being overheard by more than one person.

I'm not against musicians, big or small, receiving monies for their purchases, downloads and airplay but forcing radios off ( which seems to be what's happening ) is kind of shooting themselves in the foot really, if I don't listen to the radio, I don't hear their new song/album, I don't go out and buy it.
  • toasterman
    Options
    I can't work out how any of these collection agencies work out who is owed what.
    Given there are no live statistics for radio (there's the Rajars but they're not exactly pinpoint accurate to say the least), how do they know who is listening to what? The surveys are conducted by people ticking boxes, so in the case of workplaces, as has already been mentioned - how do they know which offices are listening to which stations/songs?

At least when the stations do royalties they know which songs they've played how many times. As traditional radio is a one-sided medium (unlike web-streaming for example, where you can tell exact numbers of people listening at any time), they've no idea how many people heard the new Coldplay song or whatever.

At £250 an artist going back to them (someone quoted earlier), I think the artists wouldn't care less whether these collection agencies existed or not. Especially if they're receiving per-play royalties from the radio stations themselves.
    Even with cd/download sales, the reasons bands give away albums on the front of the Mail on Sunday, or free for download, is because they can make more touring, sponsorship deals, and advertising Kitkats than they can for their music.
  • hidden_dip
    Options
    Hi Why not use rfmradio its on the internet and cds are available to buy at 50p each, if you have no internet access, NO ROYALITIES TO PAY as all music is royalty free music so there are no royalties to pay, All types of music country,pop rock all supplied by quality artist just trying to get their music known
    Try rfmradio,co,uk for more information,
  • dizzie
    dizzie Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    Do I need a licence?

I use a radio in my office to listen to Five Live news and debates, but not music. Can someone confirm whether you need a licence only if you are using the radio to play music, whether you need one to use a radio even if you are not listening to music.

Thanks
  • chinup_3
    chinup_3 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    uktyler= whaat are you talking about? FOLKS LISTEN UP- c4 yrs ago a friend was a professional presenter on bbc radio- fees for musicians when song played on radio? singer/band= 35p per time, songwriter= £33 per time !!!! {ie richest in music are songwriters} SO we should pay again for listening to them ?!?! bearing in mind record companies canvass INSANELY for radio stations to play their artists latest release- so we go out and buy them !!!
    DOH !
    ' small struggling pub type ' musicians are rarely on the radio. i go out prob' once per week to see live bands; and often buy their cd's- different story though isn't it.
    uktyler- talk sense for "$%^ sake.
    remember always -'' life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage''
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chinup wrote: »
    uktyler- talk sense for "$%^ sake.

"even if you disagree courtesy helps. "
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • before_hollywood
    Options
    i would use the radio stations on freeview, they are better and the prs can take their license and i will give them a license to shove it up their backside
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport