Mini dealer not taking large card payments

Options
13»

Comments

• James_Blonde
    James_Blonde Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, the dealer didn't make it clear up front, despite us being pretty clear that we'd be paying around £4K on the credit card. They only told us they wouldn't accept any more than £2K today - 2 days later. We're not even sure if that includes the £500 deposit we paid. So not particularly impressed.

Transferring money from CC to current account could work - will look at that as a potential work around.

However as a few people have said, I've paid £10-15K to car dealers on my debit card in the past, my wife has done the same. What's suddenly changed?? Seems odd NOT to accept the most common form of payment now, and only accept the most risky with no comeback from a customers point of view? Is it because we didn't take their credit? Are they setting themselves up more as credit dealers than car dealers, and will punish those that don't take it??
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, the dealer didn't make it clear up front, despite us being pretty clear that we'd be paying around £4K on the credit card. They only told us they wouldn't accept any more than £2K today - 2 days later. We're not even sure if that includes the £500 deposit we paid. So not particularly impressed.

Transferring money from CC to current account could work - will look at that as a potential work around.

However as a few people have said, I've paid £10-15K to car dealers on my debit card in the past, my wife has done the same. What's suddenly changed?? Seems odd NOT to accept the most common form of payment now, and only accept the most risky with no comeback from a customers point of view? Is it because we didn't take their credit? Are they setting themselves up more as credit dealers than car dealers, and will punish those that don't take it??
    It’s been like that for a while.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Its simply the change in legislation that came in to force earlier in the year. They now cant charge extra to cover fees for credit / debit cards so many have adapted a blanket ban approach and simply accept bank transfers.

As i've said the simplest way round it is for you to draw down the money from your credit card to your current account and move it across.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    I suppose it's legal if you agree to it, I did as the 2% charges were more than offset by the 0% credit card savings compared to a bank loan at 6%....
    Even if you agree to it, the charges are still illegal as you can't sign away your statutory rights and it's now stated in law that any card charges can't be passed on to consumers.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    I see Minis everywhere, so I'd say they're priced about right.

Because no one ever paid over the odds for something because it was fashionable.
  • davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    Options
    Don't really blame the dealers.

Why should it cost them because you decided to use borrowed money from someone else.

They either increase prices, which the public will complain about, or they don't take the cards (which the public will complain about)

The first option does less damage.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Because no one ever paid over the odds for something because it was fashionable.

They're overpriced for what they are, however enough people are prepared to pay extra for what a MINI offers - just like Samsung and Apple phones, etc.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's suddenly changed??

You've been told multiple times what's changed, so read the replies properly. I expect this to become the norm (if it isn't already), and the only dealers who will take credit cards for large payments are those that have already hiked their prices to take the fees they need to pay into account, which of course means all of their stock would be overpriced whatever payment method is used.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are effectively asking for a last minute £200 discount, how would you feel if the dealer put the price up £200 last minute. Why should the dealer take the hit ? I appareciate there has been some confusion.
  • James_Blonde
    James_Blonde Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but we didn't ask for a last minute £200 discount - we were up front all along about how we were going to pay for the car, and in what amounts. It was 2 days after taking the deposit that they told us they wouldn't accept our discussed method of part payment.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport