Frustration with Barclays

Options
I went into my local Barclays on 11th October and asked to start a cash account, they handed me forms which i completed them and handed over forms of ID, they said they would send them off and i should hear within a week.

Yesterday still nothing in the post so called a number i found on internet, i think its a central number, they checked theor computers and nothing is showing at all, so i explained what i had done and when, she said she would try calling local branch for me - no one was answering so i could try popping in there myself or call back later.

I live in a village and have to catch a bus and with it being half term would have to take my youngest and as theres no guarantees I would get anywhere i decided i'd better save the money and call back later.

Called back a few hours later, was put through to two different people, finishing up with a chap who asked for my staff number:confused: , i had been put through to the wrong person:mad: , but he was very helpful and took all the details and said he would fax the local branch(this was about 2pm) and they should call me back within 3 working hours, still haven't heard. I can't just speak to my local branch cos they won't give out the number, looks like i may well have to make a trip there this afternnoon, lets hope i get somewhere as its going to cause hassle if i can't set up DDs for our gas, electric, car insurance etc before its due out .

Sorry had to let off a bit of steam,have started having letters in the post after stoping paying our creditors and it all feels very scarey and when things you have tried to sort out in plenty of time don't go right it makes it worse.
Thanks
We love what we are doing and we love why we're doing it!!

Comments

• betterlatethannever
    Options
    I went into my local branch one day and they said there was nothing on the computer, then the next morning i recieved all my cards and info etc.
    Your in for a frustrating, bangin your head against a wall time. Nothing in BR seems to go to your timing (or so i found) but try and hang in there
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • Peter_Pan
    Options
    Thanks betterlatethannever

I phoned again this morning and got someone who told me i probably shouldn't have heard anything yet anyway as it takes about 14 working days:mad:
    On a positive note though probably no a bad thing as it will only be frozen short term by the OR anyway, will just cancel DDs from old bank account now, then its one less thing to think about and contact them to see if i can pay them any other way until the new account is sorted. I have already contacted the tax credit people and explained we are between bank accounts and could they send the next payment by giro and they have said yes.

Feel as though we are making a bit of progress now.
  • Peter_Pan
    Peter_Pan Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    update

Have given up on Barclays after numerous phone calls and visits to the branch - 3 weeks tomorrow since i handed in forms and no one can find any trace of me anywhere.
    Called the Co-op today, and was acceped and account will be ready to use Monday and a welcome pack being sent out - FANTASTICand i can use the post office which is much more convenient for me anyway.
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Peter_Pan wrote: »
    update

Have given up on Barclays after numerous phone calls and visits to the branch - 3 weeks tomorrow since i handed in forms and no one can find any trace of me anywhere.
    Called the Co-op today, and was acceped and account will be ready to use Monday and a welcome pack being sent out - FANTASTICand i can use the post office which is much more convenient for me anyway.

Thats Excellent news.....i'd been with barclays for nearly 30yrs and as one of my main creditors they've been the biggest pain in the bum ever! you'll be happy with the co-op...up to now i've had no problems (I use their internet banking site..sometimes stuff coming out of the acc can take a little while to show..apart from that BRILLIANT!)

Phil
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Barclays are great every time you go in to pay a bill they try to sell you more debt.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Barclays are great every time you go in to pay a bill they try to sell you more debt.

All banks are the same. The only real difference is how desperate the staff member that serves you is for their sales bonus/commission.:rolleyes:
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Fermi, all banks are the same, you hear the same stories from people who have been cheated by all of them.

:j :j

• madoldbat
    Options
    Peter_Pan wrote: »
    update

Well done one small step forward makes a whole lot of diffrance:T
    We changed to COOP find them super.No problems yet with the cash point everywere seems to accept them and being able to use post office for paying in is fantastic better opening hours and more of them.
    You were very restrained in your condemnation of Barkleys Im impressed that amount of good customer service has been known to make me shake with rage:o its ok Im taking the pills now so I only chew the furniture not the kids;) :rotfl:
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    I agree with Fermi, all banks are the same, you hear the same stories from people who have been cheated by all of them.
    The biggest thing a bank (LTSB) cheated me out of was my belief they were loyal to customers who were loyal to them. I've been with them over 20 years, & the way they behaved once I went BR was a disgrace. It's difficult for me to get to the branch, but as soon as I can I'm going to withdraw whatever cash is there & close the account. :(

I've come to the conclusion that an account where the bank doesn't promise me anything is better, as we both know where we stand. Cash in allows me to take cash out. There's no credit, no promises of better interest rates for saving/spending more, no offers of special overdraft rates or preferential rates for mortgages etc. That's why I like the Co-op's account - I know exactly where I stand with them, & they know exactly where they stand with me. :)
  • madoldbat
    madoldbat Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    WDIAG
    Dont mention Lltsb:mad: because they were so wonderful over 8.00 we ended up BR.
    Looooooooooooooooooong story.Everyone else were willing to listen not they.So on went the charges,phone calls and letters.I went to CAB who pointed out a few home truths and here we are:rolleyes:
    I agree with you re COOP no promises to break.Everything seems ok.
    Off to mumble and witter now for 5 mins about bad banks......................mumble....witter.............mumble......................
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure