Nationwide and Vodafone

Options
2»

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Has you (or your friend) made a claim via DD indemnity if the payment was incorrect, this should be actioned by Nationwide.

Are you sure that Vodafone have sent the money and if they have have nationwide explained why you cant have access to it?

Something doesnt add up here, almost like we are missing chunks of the story.

Refunds/overpayments shouldn't take this long to be refunded. *note took 24 hour for a overpayment to be paid back to me via DD indemnity for a energy supplier taking too much.

Any more news? I would suggest your friend keeps contact with Nation-wide as they have made the mistake by paying out the incorrect amount by DD, and thats what the indemnity is for.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do wish posters making ridiculous allegations would come back and 'fess up when things get sorted.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    Options
    I do wish posters making ridiculous allegations would come back and 'fess up when things get sorted.
    OP decided to start another new thread instead but someone (ahem!) suggested continuing on this original thread, maybe OP will do so....
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For the last six weeks Nationwide have been implementing system upgrades. This as left a friends Flex account in limbo. Money in the account was inaccessible and he was told continuously that there was a problem and it would be sorted. He had to borrow money for every day living expenses.
    Sorry, but I suspect this was a compliance situation that they couldn't reveal. Eg. AML checks etc. I doubt a system upgrade affects one person, and with all the TSB news, if many were affected I'd have thought it'd be in the news? (unless I missed it).

Re the DD - is it really direct debit or was it a debit card? Otherwise indeed, Nationwide could have reversed the direct debit. Debit card, that's with the corporate and often tends to be stalled while they check funds have arrived then head office has to approve the credit back etc...
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • musketeer7
    musketeer7 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    It hasn't been resolved yet.

Ok, so the saga continues. It was not a Direct Debit. It was a debit card transaction set up via an app so I was told.
    He still hasn't had access to that money. Any new money paid in to his account is available at present.
    There is a problem and Nationwide know about it but won't release the details for whatever reason known to themselves.

This goes back further than the Vodafone transaction.

He used his card at an ATM and it was kept. The machine displayed a message to use an emergency number only if a compliant bank was the issuer of the card. He phoned Nationwide and they cancelled the card. The next day he went to his branch and they said he would have to wait for a new card. He couldn't access any of the money at that point.

A few days later they said they hadn't cancelled the card
    but then did so. He took in statements to withdraw money,
    they refused as he was only allowed to make three cash
    withdrawals without his card.
    When he got his new card, he went to a ATM to draw some cash
    but the money had gone. Going to his branch he was given a
    phone number and used their phone. He was told the money was
    there but they couldn't access it. He had to fill in a complaint form.
    He was told to wait 28 days for it to be processed. He constantly
    asked almost every day and was told there were system problems.

Any new money could be accessed but not from the original balance.

Then a large amount of money went in and then the Vodafone debacle
    began, and so it continues.
  • musketeer7
    Options
    So Nationwide have found the money. He can't access it as it's kept pending. It's not a few quid either,several hundred pounds he can't access.

Have they been hacked? It seems Nationwide have admitted an Intrusion, mmmm. So where does that leave him?

Any ideas anyone?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    Options
    musketeer7 wrote: »
    For the last six weeks Nationwide have been implementing system upgrades. This as left a friends Flex account in limbo. Money in the account was inaccessible and he was told continuously that there was a problem and it would be sorted.
    musketeer7 wrote: »
    So Nationwide have found the money. He can't access it as it's kept pending. It's not a few quid either,several hundred pounds he can't access.

Have they been hacked? It seems Nationwide have admitted an Intrusion, mmmm. So where does that leave him?

Any ideas anyone?
    My view is that you or your friend (maybe both) has a very vivid imagination!

Right from the start of this thread, when he or you tried to claim that access to his money was prevented by a six-week system upgrade that nobody else has heard of, it's been increasingly implausible (not helped by getting intermingled with an apparently unrelated Vodafone error), so you'll understand why people will have some difficulty with unsubstantiated assertions that Nationwide have now admitted an intrusion - mmmmm indeed....

Your friend obviously needs to continue to pursue Nationwide through their formal complaints process as there's nothing anyone on here can do, although my advice to him/you would be to stick to concise and clear facts when doing so rather than potentially discrediting himself by including uninformed speculation and flights of fancy.
  • musketeer7
    Options
    Thank you for your judgement on this matter.

Point one the upgrade was six weeks ago from the original date of the post, not for six weeks ongoing. It should have read In the last six weeks instead of for.

Vodafone was not a side issue as he still hasn't had that money even though they transferred it back into his account.

Nationwide are investigating why the overall money as been disappearing and reappearing but they weren't able to stabilize it for some reason.

He has made multiple complaints.

Another investigation is under way on another matter.

I transferred £10 into his account and he called me to say it wasn't there. He went into his branch and was told it had been bounced back. This was not true as my payments are tracked and Nationwide had accepted the payment. A few days later they said the money had been paid somewhere in the Isle of Man. That hasn't concluded yet.

I or he must have imagined that.

He's had excuse after excuse. Nationwide said they seem to have had an intrusion in the system, hence the ongoing investigation.

In light of what's going on generally with scams etc, I don't need a vivid imagination. I have my own thoughts on what is happening but no proof as of yet.

When this matter gets resolved I will post the conclusion.

I appreciate that no one can help on this site and I'm glad that it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else.
  • musketeer7
    Options
    Well there was finally some resolution with the help of the Financial Ombudsman. They agreed staggered payments on both sides until the sum has been repaid.
    Thanks to all of you for any help you gave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure