PPI scam? Please advise

Options
HI. I had a phone call yesterday (mobile number) from a lady saying she was from "PPI Refund" and I am owed £1948. She read out my name and address the asked for my bank sort code and A/C which I refused to give her. She said she needed this to verify I was the right person. I said I wouldn't give this over the phone and said they could send a cheque but she was insistent.She went on to "explain" how the governemnt would take osme of my money unless I set up a life insurance policy- once I'd done this we would cancel the policya nd she would give me a reference number to take to the bank to claim my refund.

Sounds dodgy to me!!! Anyone else experience this- any advice?!
Thanks!

Comments

• On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Based on your account of the call this is an obvious attempt at fraud. Ignore / block this an all similar contacts.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's way more than "dodgy" !! Its just a scam.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    from a lady saying she was from "PPI Refund" and I am owed £1948.

That is clearly the first sign of fraud as no-one is owed anything and that isnt how PPI complaints work. (you have to raise a complaint youself. they dont contact you).

She read out my name and address the asked for my bank sort code and A/C which I refused to give her.

Thats a second sign of fraud as the banks refund directly and not via a claims company. They are trying to get your bank details.
    She said she needed this to verify I was the right person.

Fake reason - she rang you. Not the other way around. Bank details dont identify anyone.
    She went on to "explain" how the governemnt would take osme of my money unless I set up a life insurance policy- once I'd done this we would cancel the policya nd she would give me a reference number to take to the bank to claim my refund.

That is just a complete load of fraudulent rubbish. Government dont take anything and taking out a life assurance has nothing to do with PPI.

So, this is one of the most obvious scams I have seen.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure