Cleaning Solar Panels

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
3 replies 993 views
hollie.weimeranerhollie.weimeraner Forumite
2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
My panels are coming up to 3 years old now and I noticed bird muck on them earlier this week. Overnight rain cleared it all but I have noticed what appears to be green algae around the edges (not on the glass itself) and I'm just wondering what everyone else does about cleaning their panels and how often they do it.
I would have to get a cleaning company in to clean them if I get them cleaned.
3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer

Replies

• The_Green_HornetThe_Green_Hornet Forumite
    607 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I have had my panels for nearly eight years and I haven't cleaned them once.
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have also had solar panels for nearly 10 years now & never had them cleaned.
    I have also had wheelie bin for 15 years & never had that cleaned either !!
  • pinnkspinnks Forumite
    834 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are 5 years old and I have cleaned them a couple of times while up the ladder anyway.

Trouble is the distance from top of ladder working height to top of top panels is about 4m. Most of the green stuff is at the bottom of each panel and wipes off easily. In reality this is more about cosmetics than performance. A bit like cleaning the can doesn't save fuel or make it go faster...

If you're happy up a ladder go for it but use rain water not tap water to avoid residue remaining on the panels. if you're not, just leave them.:beer:
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support