MSE News: TSB customers stopped from switching after it told banks to suspend transfers

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Forumite
edited 1 May 2018 at 1:58PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
TSB asked rival banks to 'hold' switching requests from its customers on Friday in the middle of its IT meltdown, MoneySavingExpert can reveal...
Read the full story:
'TSB customers stopped from switching after it told banks to suspend transfers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
«1

Comments

  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That's technology. Accept it may go wrong.

    Do what you did before online banking. Life was easier and simpler then.
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 591
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    aj23 wrote: »
    That's technology. Accept it may go wrong.

    Do what you did before online banking. Life was easier and simpler then.
    This in no way applies in this case - unless you're going to tell me that you would be manually filling out paper forms for each and every direct debit and standing order, along with account closure forms, despite the presence of the CASS. "Easier and simpler" - sure...
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,926
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    aj23 wrote: »
    Do what you did before online banking. Life was easier and simpler then.
    Your comment was possibly appropriate in the other TSB threads where you've used it, but this one is specifically about issues with switching.

    There was no Current Account Switching Service before the introduction of online banking, so even though some aspects of banking were indeed simpler in the good old days, the introduction of CASS has been generally welcomed as a positive development and any manual alternative you might be thinking of would be exceptionally time-consuming and laborious!
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    aj23 wrote: »
    Do what you did before online banking. Life was easier and simpler then.

    When I tape £1,500 to the underside of my bed and start complaining that it's not making me any money, my other half gives me funny looks.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Sums up TSB beautifully !
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I do feel sorry for TSB, but I dont think they have handled this very well. I tried to contact them today and was told by the automated service that call times exceed 30 minutes and to try again later and the call disconnected. Yet if it gave me the opportunity to hold I could have been on for hours. Imagine if they let switched go through, but money was lost in the ether, what then? They obviously had reasons for doing this, and although not brilliant, its not permanent.....damned if you do, damned if you don't!
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Another non-story from MSE. There was a temporary issue last week. It's fixed and TSB haven't stopped customers from switching.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,590
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2018 at 8:58AM
    Ashen wrote: »
    This in no way applies in this case - unless you're going to tell me that you would be manually filling out paper forms for each and every direct debit and standing order, along with account closure forms, despite the presence of the CASS. "Easier and simpler" - sure...

    I switched to Halifax several years before the 7 day switching service was introduced and they did everything for me. They switched all the DD over first, then wrote to my employer to advice them to start paying into the new account. In the intervening period they gave me a free overdraft and gave me cashback.

    I hated when the new switch service was introduced. Of course it's quicker, but you miss out on that free overdraft for the month when you can put your salary in a savings account.
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    Another non-story from MSE. There was a temporary issue last week. It's fixed and TSB haven't stopped customers from switching.

    They did stop customers from switching. Now they have been caught out they claim it was because they couldn't process the switches due to a technical issues, all the while they have been keen to point out that they have been able to process direct debits etc. It certainly sounds worthy of investigation to see if they are lying.

    If they'd announced it up front then I'd be more willing to believe them.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ashen wrote: »
    This in no way applies in this case - unless you're going to tell me that you would be manually filling out paper forms for each and every direct debit and standing order, along with account closure forms, despite the presence of the CASS. "Easier and simpler" - sure...

    Which probably takes about as long as logging on and doing it online.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Your comment was possibly appropriate in the other TSB threads where you've used it, but this one is specifically about issues with switching.

    There was no Current Account Switching Service before the introduction of online banking, so even though some aspects of banking were indeed simpler in the good old days, the introduction of CASS has been generally welcomed as a positive development and any manual alternative you might be thinking of would be exceptionally time-consuming and laborious!

    You can do CASS in branch. You just make an appointment and do it. If people are still wanting to switch to TSB, they can do that still. I did that with Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards