Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

House flooding - insurance claim

New Post Advanced Search

House flooding - insurance claim

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 561 views
Am15715Am15715 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice.
I am a council tenant in Scotland, I have been in my house for 4 years. In 2015 I had a small flood and the council came out to fix the cause of it (something in the loft) and I got compensation for damage etc. Last December I was in hospital for 3 days and when I got home my house had flooded again (same cause) but this time everything in my house was ruined, ceilings down everything ruined. The council decanted me to a diff property and told me 3 months and it would all be redone. It’s been 6 months and my moving home date is 23rd may. I don’t have home insurance but the council have already accepted liability and said I will be compensated by Zurich. Has this happened to anyone before? I have a 2 bedroom up&downdtairs house and everything was ruined (decoration flooring furniture white goods my clothing electricals everything) the council are going to fit me a new kitchen and bathroom and plaster for me but that’s it. The decorating etc is being left to me. Does anyone know a rough figure of how much the compensation will pay out? Thanks in advance


  • seashore22seashore22 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You don't have contents insurance?

    I wouldn't have expected them to compensate for furniture and possessions, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Tenants are expected to have insurance of their own to cover the things that they own.
  • BlibbleBlibble Forumite
    499 posts
    The council will cover your buildings insurance claim only, i.e., the structural aspects of the damage. I'm surprised to hear your decorating isn't being covered though, or at least contributing towards it?

    Unless you have separate contents insurance cover, none of your furniture or electricals will be covered. Floor covering may be covered if it is fully adhered to a subfloor or fitted under skirting boards, thus classing it as a building.

    It's impossible to give you a figure for what will be paid out, as we don't know the scale of the damages or how large the property is, let alone the age or structure of the property.
    Wedding fund - £2199.82 (£4113.17)
    OP fund - £1971.13 (£111.53)
    Emergency fund - £400.00
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support