ESA overpayment

Hi all i'm in desperate need of advice. I've been receiving ESA now for over 2 years and I only just found out the other day that if you go over the £6000 savings your benefit is reduced. I was unaware of this and my savings went well above this so I take full responsibility. I rang them up immediately and told them about this and they said I need to send bank statements for when it went over £6000 (September 2017) to work out how much I owe them. Is this quite a common thing and I am on a lot of trouble for this? Also what is worrying me is that I have sold lots of personal possessions on ebay recently as they are unwanted and I've raised quite a bit of cash through there. Would this look dodgy and need explaining? sorry one last question, over the last couple of years I've also received cash gifts from my mum and grandparents to help pay with bills. This is okay right?
I'm just worrying myself sick.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Savings:
    If you're on income based ESA then your benefit will be reduced by £1 for each £250 or part thereof up to £16,000. Above £16k you're not entitled to income based benefit.

If you're on contribution based ESA that won't be affected.

As you informed them of the change, albeit late, you'll probably just have to repay what you owe. It's unlikely you'll get a fine. However, it's up to you to know the rules for the benefit you claim and you are told to report any changes to them. As you have to give financial details when you apply, you're expected to know that you have to declare savings. So it's possible - but as I said, highly unlikely - that you could get a fine.

Selling personal belongings:
    This is allowed, presumably if they ask you can give them details of ebay listings so that they can see it was second hand goods you were selling. It might be worth printing out or screenshotting the ebay sold pages while you can still access them. I doubt the DWP will need that level of information but better to have it.

Gifts from relatives:
    Yes, this is allowed.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The information about the savings limits is detailed in the information provided when ESA and other income related benefits are claimed. Despite that it is far from uncommon for people not to be aware of that. Given that the ESA claim form is in excess of 60 pages that is not altogether surprising. Add to that the fact that people claiming ESA are generally unwell and it's probably more of a surprise that it doesn't come to light more often.
    You will be required to pay back any over payment and there may be a charge on top of that. A decision on that aspect will only be made once the full situation is examined.
    As venison has said, try not to worry too much about it. It will certainly act in you favour that you have taken the initiative and contacted them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure