Barclays free accounts.

Options
I have been paying for a tech package ( or equivalent ) for years now. Giving me access to an overdraft and gadget insurance.

However i do not use the gadget insurance, only the overdraft facility.

When i went to claim a refund for my paying for a monthly fee account i was told because i use the overdraft, i therefore using the account for one of its purposes and would not be eligible for a refund.

Call me naive but i believed that the only way to get an overdraft is to pay a monthly fee account.

I have recently discovered that i can get an overdraft on a free account, the only difference is that i dont get a fee free £200 overdraft but a £15 buffer.
the charges are the same above this, and for quite a few years i have been tucked neatly into my overdraft and paying regular daily charges for the pleasure.

My argument is, i would of saved money if i was on the free account as i go into my overdraft near enough straight away and the £200 fee free overdraft is not used because of this.

Has anyone else had anything similar and would i be entitled to resubmit a claim based on the fact that i would of saved money if i had a fee free monthly account overdraft?

Thanks for your time.:money:

gaz

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I buy home insurance annually - I hope not to have to use it but I can't claim the premium back if I don't claim.
    Unless somebody erroneously told you had to have the packaged account to have the overdraft facility I don't think you have a claim for a refund.

Nothing stopping you trying I suppose everybody else seems to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure