Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Raising money for a school

Options
Hi everyone,

Some friends and I are running a local 10K next month to raise money for our children's school. They are not a charity so I'm trying to figure out how to set up a fundraising page. We'll raise more if we can do this online.

Many thanks for your help!

Comments

• Aaron.R
    Options
    Hhmm you Could create a basic wordpress site and explaing your cause and add paying method (paypal etc), should take somewhere from 2-6 hours if you follow youtube guides
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My son ran a 1k Santa dash to raise money for his school and I just set up a just giving site. Took no time at all and we raised £300
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Within a school, there'd be some parent that would be willing to set it all up for you ... to do all the design/input and link to a payment gateway. Money could go directly to the school in that way, not through any other organisation. The School would be able to provide a Unique Reference Number for inbound payments to filter them out in accounting as "Payments In".

Best to distance yourself from that side of things and simply request help from parents... and pick a suitably qualified one. There must be one that works in e-commerce/web-design because they're everywhere.
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 September 2018 at 5:37PM
    Options
    Aaron.R wrote: »
    Hhmm you Could create a basic wordpress site and explaing your cause and add paying method (paypal etc), should take somewhere from 2-6 hours if you follow youtube guides

A gofundme type site for individuals or non-charity groups would look less dodgy/more professional. A newly launched blog page with the money going straight to a paypal account would look like a scam.

eta: Justgiving has a crowdfunding section for non-charity donations/fundraising
    https://home.justgiving.com/startfundraising
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • JustABit
    Options
    Good cause, wish you luck achieving it
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The original post was made in April, the race due to have been run in May, so hopefully the OP found a solution
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • joyknights
    Options
    How about do some activities like a bake sale, marathon, and more? I hope that it will be a great success.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure