Garden wall damage by Oil Delivery vehicle.

Options
Hello good people, several weeks ago, a small oil delivery vehicle damaged my garden wall upon leaving the driveway adjacent to my property. The damage was to the main corner pillar. The driver stopped and got out to inspect the damage and I went out and took several photos with my phone with the vehicle still in situ.

I contacted the company and reported the damage and emailed them the photos. So far - so good. Initially, the chap I was dealing with said that they would send someone to fix it. However, they are over 60 miles away from me, and shortly after this suggestion was made, he changed his mind as his men were all "too busy" and could I get a couple of quotes from local builders.

It took some doing as most people near me would snap your hand off at the prospect of building a million pound house but cannot be arsed to quote for a piddly little repair job. However, I managed to get two people to give me figures of £250 and £285 respectively. The dearer one lived 30 minutes away so I guess that they factored in the travel. Anyway ... I sent the quotes in and the guy replies with, "My boss thinks that £285 is way too much for half a day's work. I'll task someone to come up from here when the weather breaks and there is no frost danger to the setting mortar".

OK, fair enough, I thought. Another month passed and the weather duly improved but I heard nothing so I emailed again a week ago to ask when I might expect the repair to be done and have heard nothing at all. Normally he has replied within 48 hours but not this time. So, if they drag their feet in the hope that I will get fed up, what are my options? More accurately, what should I do and in what order?

Thank you if you got this far!

M

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you post the pics here?
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maharishi wrote: »
    So, if they drag their feet in the hope that I will get fed up, what are my options? More accurately, what should I do and in what order?

Send a letter/email stating what you want done and by when (be reasonable on deadlines) advising that otherwise you will arrange for your own contractor to repair the damage and send them the bill to be payable with 14 days. Ensure you specify to what standard the work must be completed.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Maharishi
    Maharishi Posts: 230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Can you post the pics here?

Not really as I have no hosting accounts since photobucket prevented third party display.
  • Maharishi
    Options
    Send a letter/email stating what you want done and by when (be reasonable on deadlines) advising that otherwise you will arrange for your own contractor to repair the damage and send them the bill to be payable with 14 days. Ensure you specify to what standard the work must be completed.

What would you consider to be reasonable? 28 days?

Thank you very much.

M
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Maharishi wrote: »
    Not really as I have no hosting accounts since photobucket prevented third party display.

I posted an image from Photobucket on here earlier today.
  • Maharishi
    Options
    bigisi wrote: »
    I posted an image from Photobucket on here earlier today.

Oh - I thought that they had blocked that unless you went premium ...
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    Options
    https://postimages.org/ is pretty good :)
  • Maharishi
    Options
    OK, here we go;

IMG_0045.jpg~original

IMG_0044.jpg~original
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Is it just the top course and the front brick on the second that is damaged?
  • Maharishi
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Is it just the top course and the front brick on the second that is damaged?

Top three courses on the pillar and the joint to the wall itself has been opened (no photo of that). Will need dismantling until sound material is reached, carefully cleaning old mortar off and then rebuilding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure