EE Home Phone in NI - Beware of call charges to RoI

We recently transferred our home phone and broadband service to EE. Upon receipt of the second bill, I was very surprised to see that a landline phone call to the Republic of Ireland was not included within my anytime UK calling plan.

I’m well aware that the Republic of Ireland is not within the United Kingdom, however EE is the first provider that I’ve come across that does not appear to recognise the unique position of Northern Ireland. The call in question was to a friend living in Dundalk (I'm in Newry) it seems very unfair to charge this call at international rate, especially when BT Wholesale are not charging EE international rate.

For years, there has been a reciprocal agreement between telecoms providers in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, to charge/bill calls within the Island as at the inland call rates and include them within their respective home country calling packages. I find it really strange that EE, as part of the BT group have not respected this agreement.

I understand that there is no legal obligation for EE home phone to recognise the unique position of NI, you might wish to consider this, especially if you make a lot of calls to the RoI, or if you live in a border town like myself.

For reference you'll see how other telecoms providers provide an exception for fixed line telephone calls between NI and RoI.

BT Wholesale

"Calls from Northern Ireland to fixed telephones in the Republic of Ireland will be charged at the appropriate Inland rate. Calls from Northern Ireland to mobile telephones registered in the Republic of Ireland will be charged at the same rate as calls from the rest of the United Kingdom to mobile telephones registered in the Republic of Ireland. Calls to the Channel Islands are charged at National Rate."

Sky http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/SkyTalkTariffGuide.pdf Bottom of page 2 . UK calls are to 01, 02, 03 & 0870 numbers only (excludes calls to Channel Islands, indirect access numbers and 070 numbers). Calls from Northern Ireland to Republic of Ireland geographic numbers are charged at UK rates. “Unlimited” UK landline calls last up to an ho ur, after which 9.5p per minute rates apply, or you can hang up and redial as often as you like. Subject to Acceptable Use Policy – see sky.com/t alk. UK rates apply for calls to the g21 charge band. Max price for other 08 numbers (excluding 0870 & 0845) is 14.16p per minute, with a max connection fee of 15.9p, please see pages 6 and 15-17. Max price for 070 is 50.88p per minute, with a max connection fee of 51.17p, please see page 12.

BT Retail http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential .pdf top of page 7 bottom of page 12 bottom of page 19 page 60

"UK means calls of up to an hour starting inside the inclusive call period for your calling plan to Local and National numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03 and calls from Northern Ireland to landlines in the Republic of Ireland. Calls of longer than an hour starting inside the inclusive call period for your calling plan are charged at 13.0p per minute with no call set-up fee. Excluded calls include non-geographic numbers (e.g. 0871), Premium Rate services, operator-controlled calls, calls to the internet, information and paging services, other non-voice calls and calls to the Channel Islands."

Plusnet https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-calls-between-Northern-Ir eland-and-Republic-of-Ireland/td-p/1115428

Talktalk https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Calling-Eire-from-North ern-Ireland/td-p/329017

Post office https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:150e1a1f-83fb-47d3-800c-f0d67b241b28/b roadband_phone_pricing_tables.pdf **Calls made from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland Fixed Lines are charged as a National call.

Just something to keep in mind if changing provider.

I'd not have moved to them if I'd realised this sooner!

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Things are far simpler when calling from ROI to a number in NI.

The NI 028 area code within the UK Numbering plan (i.e. +44 28) can be dialled as 048 within the ROI numbering plan (i.e. as if it were +353 48).
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP, as this is so important to you why didn't you check it before moving your service?
  • cmcgeeney
    cmcgeeney Posts: 118 Forumite
    Hi pmduk,

The purpose of my post was to raise awareness.
    Yes, not investigating fully was complacent on my part, but I'm sure you'll see from the plusnet thread, most GB staff advise incorrectly if asked how their company charge for these type of calls.

If the truth be known, I thought it was an Ofcom / legislative ruling. As BT Wholesale do not charge the calls as international, I never imagined any telecom provider to classify the calls in this way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure