Can I trademark my business without forming a limited company

Options
Hello people,
I run a small business as a sole trader but want to protect my business name/brand. The cost of becoming a limited company is so high and the paperwork is also doubled and a maze of frightening stuff. I can just about cope with the paperwork and cost that I deal with as a sole trader.

Trademarking my logo and business name protects it which I feel is my best bet but I want to know if I can do this without being a limited company.

Also if anyone knows of a solicitor that can advise on trademark matters without taking me to the cleaners, it would be so, so sooo, helpful.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanking you in advance for now.:)

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    SugarB8 wrote: »

Trademarking my logo and business name protects it which I feel is my best bet but I want to know if I can do this without being a limited company.

Anyone can register a trademark.
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-register-a-trade-mark/apply
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SugarB8 wrote: »

The cost of becoming a limited company is so high and the paperwork is also doubled and a maze of frightening stuff.

Who told you that? The cost isn't high and I haven't yet found the maze of frightening stuff
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you really need to trademark your business name? Several people have businesses with similar names to mine (which is not trademarked) and it doesn't cause problems. They are mostly in different areas or other types of business.

I imagine the costs of defending a trademark could be eye-watering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure