We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Poll: What do you buy second hand?

2»

Comments

  • economum
    economum Posts: 147
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    I bought a second=hand kitchen on ebay. Also second hand bath, sink and shower (the bath fitted in our hatchback car, the shower doors didn't). You get really good quality for a low price.
    Although anybody who has ever bought a house that wasn't brand new will have bought these things as part of the deal.
  • andrew.77
    andrew.77 Posts: 12
    Fifth Anniversary
    Forumite
    The percentages on this poll are effectively meaningless! It is incorrectly calculated with votes divided by total votes, instead of votes divided by voters which would be much more informative. This explains why the percentages are much lower than expected. Unfortunately number of voters isn't supplied so it can't even be done manually.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,840
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    andrew.77 wrote: »
    The percentages on this poll are effectively meaningless! It is incorrectly calculated with votes divided by total votes, instead of votes divided by voters which would be much more informative. This explains why the percentages are much lower than expected. Unfortunately number of voters isn't supplied so it can't even be done manually.

    Didn't notice that but you're absolutely right. Assuming they use the same methodology for all the polls it also renders meaningless the results of a a few others like the 'what have you taken from a hotel room' one.
  • aintreemaid
    aintreemaid Posts: 66
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I’ve bought second hand army boots, but I’d draw the line at pants - not a reason to be cheerful.
    I think Ian Drury was quoted as saying that pants and boots were the only things he did buy new! :rotfl:
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    I'm late in replying, but I have 3 rescue dogs, and got a lot of things from a second hand places.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.