We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: 10,000+ Brits with no EHIC need medical help in Europe each year

Options
More than 10,000 British travellers a year are having to apply for emergency documentation to access medical care in Europe because they don't have a valid EHIC, figures obtained by MoneySavingExpert reveal...
Read the full story:
'10,000+ Brits with no EHIC need medical help in Europe each year'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They'll almost certainly stop working after Brexit anyway so expect travel insurance rates to soar.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    They'll almost certainly stop working after Brexit anyway so expect travel insurance rates to soar.

Do you have a source for that?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Part of leaving the EU is losing the vast majority of the benefits and freedoms that came with membership.

This is more than likely on that list.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/28/lose-right-urgent-healthcare-eu-brexit-7422986/
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    1) Perhaps we should introduce a competency assessment before allowing people to have passports. Clearly, some people lack the intelligence and/or knowledge to safely travel abroad.

2) We have reciprocal healthcare arrangements with a number of non-EEA countries, including Australia, Bosnia, Montenegro, New Zealand, and Serbia. There is no reason to think that reciprocal arrangements with the EEA will not continue.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Options
    When I get to the stage where I have any long term serious health concerns, then that will be the time when I stop travelling abroad.....plain stupid making yourself a burden on others.
  • peachyprice
    Options
    Part of leaving the EU is losing the vast majority of the benefits and freedoms that came with membership.

This is more than likely on that list.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/28/lose-right-urgent-healthcare-eu-brexit-7422986/

Ok, nothing more than inflammatory speculation then. Thanks.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    When I get to the stage where I have any long term serious health concerns, then that will be the time when I stop travelling abroad.....plain stupid making yourself a burden on others.

You're suggesting disabled people should not travel overseas? Nice.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 8:49PM
    Options
    You're suggesting disabled people should not travel overseas? Nice.

I don't think that's what I either said or suggested.

Read the link in reply #4.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Ok, nothing more than inflammatory speculation then. Thanks.

Feel free to post any additional facts, but I think you'll find there aren't any. No guarantees at all, hence my "almost certainly" regards us losing EHIC in addition to our rights to free movement and much much more.

Losing hard-won rights and benefits is all too easy, as we're finding out to our cost.

• peachyprice
    Options
    Feel free to post any additional facts, but I think you'll find there aren't any. No guarantees at all, hence my "almost certainly" regards us losing EHIC in addition to our rights to free movement and much much more.

Losing hard-won rights and benefits is all too easy, as we're finding out to our cost.

Except is isn't 'almost certain' is it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure