Is CCTV the answer to my home security problem?

Options
I am new to this, so please bear with me.

I live in an end-terraced house (built about 18 years ago) on a corner. The front is on a main road, but the side is on a lesser used road. The side and rear are not directly overlooked by any neighbours. In all the 8+ years I have been here I have had trouble on and off with kids throwing things at the house. The first window that was broken was on Halloween and it was broken by an apple. Over the years any window glass that I have replaced has been toughened and this (until recently) has seemed to be enough of a deterrent. I have probably averaged one broken window a year - I know that is too many,

However, in the past month the vandalism has increased dramatically. It is common knowledge who the vandals are, but no one has actually seen them do anything. September 24 - golf ball through glass in back door. October 17 - stones broke toughened glass in kitchen window (15 sq ft of glass) 26 October - stones broke cladding on rear of house and put more holes in yet to be repaired window.

Various people have suggested CCTV. My questions are:-
Would it work?
Would it lower the value of my house when I come to sell it?
What kind of camera/s do I need? The 'hide' is about 15 metres from the house and with days getting shorter (I live in Scotland) will the camera work at that distance?
Can I DIY it? I am not earning at the moment
Any help/words of wisdom from experience would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to turn my home in to a fortress, but cannot afford these expensive repairs.

Comments

• feliz
    Options
    Hello, I am Having the same trouble (2 windows replaced in 2 years & its been hit with stones too many times to count & an egg last weekend, not as bad as you but still upsetting) I know exactly how you must be feeling. I asked the police about getting cctv installed as they have advised us not to chase them (we could end up in more trouble than them!!!) They advised me to get a discreet camera to catch them on tape - that then gives the police something to go on. I have asked a local company (i'm in Scotland too - North Lanarkshire ) for an estimate and i'll let you know what price they come back with - think maybe a few hundred pounds unfortunately! However i have been looking on the internet and B & Q have some real bargains on the cctv equipment just now (you need the one suitable for outdoor & night time) However don't know how easy/difficult they are to set up or how accurate they are. If my quote is too expensive - then this is probably the route i'll take, but will probably need to find someone to fit it (my husband & I aren't too good with electrics!) I will let you know how we get on with the price etc & hopefully we can all relax in our own homes.
  • Cabinlassie
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing what you decide to do and the prices you come up with. I am still waiting for the Police to give me some advice. North Lanarkshire seem to be getting a pretty bad reputation! One of my neighbours said she got a CCTV camera that links to a video in Argos for £100. She actually got video of some youngsters trying to break in to her husband's van. She recognised them and confronted them with the tape threatening that if they ever came near again she would take it to the Police. So far she has had no more trouble. However, she lives in rented accomodation and does not have to think about the resale value of her house. I hope to get out of this hell hole in the next couple of years and would like to get a good price for the house.
  • feliz
    Options
    Just a quick note to let you know if you type ebay reviews and guides into google you'll get some great info and advise in there on all types of cctv cameras & systems. I am picking up my quote tonight after work so i'll let you know the cost tomorrow. Police aren't that helpfull - don't think they realise the stress this type of thing causes - I appreciate that by the time they get there the youths are long gone but in your case - it sounds really dangerous. We haven't had lots of incidents & its generally a quiet area but its still really frustrating to think that their parents are sitting at home relaxing while their children are out causing havoc! Definately think camera is your best bet - at least then the police can act and someone will be held responsible for the damage they are causing to your property.
  • Cabinlassie
    Options
    Police visited yesterday. I can't use CCTV to record anything outwith the boundaries of my home/land. Since these wee thugs are on the pavement there is no point is installing CCTV. Hope it solves your problem though.
  • feliz
    Options
    Got the quote last night (still in shock!!!) Cost was £600 which is much more that i'm willing to pay. The company did however suggest that we get a 'dummy camera' & put it on the side of our house obviously angled to 'cover' the front of our property as a deterrent. They said they could provide one for around £50 so i will maybe go for that (i've looked at them on the internet & you can pick them up for around £30) Worth a try & if that fails think i'll get the diy ones from b&q or argos.
  • fas3robinj
    Options
    Cabinlassie,

Funny the police told you you can't use a camera to record criminals in the street. They record them all the time.

My friend had a problem for years. The Police told him to put a camera in his bedroom aimed at the street in front of his house. They had an arrest within 2 weeks.

Personally I would install a camera .... we have a right to defend our property, and I've never heard of anyone going to prison for recording criminal activity in the street outside their home.

You could even use an ordinary camcorder from a room inside your house. That isn't CCTV.

I think recording these criminals is the only way to stop them. The police have proved that.
  • feliz
    Options
    From what i've been told you can put a camera up as long as you only use the tapes for security i.e you and police are the only ones who will view them. I was also told that if you have a car you can say that the camera is facing the road because thats normally where you or visitors park. You are also supposed to have a notice up stating that cctv is recording on the premises (i didnt want this - that why police advised me (unofficially) to get a discreet camera) Problem seems to be that public can object about you recording them. Why dont you consider the dummy camera option - surely its worth a try & not very expensive. Have to agree with fas3robinj, never heard of anyone going to jail for recording criminal activity outside their own home.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thats the problem in this country you cant defend your own property without getting into trouble yourself,

hope it stops the thugs
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • fas3robinj
    Options
    I'm not sure that you have to put a notice up saying you have cctv. I thought that only related to businesses. It can't be against a law to record people in the street otherwise every holiday movie would be illegal.
  • Cabinlassie
    Options
    Intertesting point about the holiday movies. I think the problem is that if I want to use the video in court I have to have their permission to video them according to the Data Protection Act.
    Bureaucracy gone mad!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport