PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Agents' Tactics...

Options
2»

Comments

• meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ManAtHome wrote:
    A reasonable point - if he's doing it as a business, quite likely to worked out all the cashflow stuff. If it's a 'I've seen people doing this on the telly', may well come a cropper.

I heard a radio discussion around a year ago - one guy was still buying, but the criteria he used to value a property was to multiply the monthly rent by 100 (12% ROI). His point was that if you're only just covering normal costs, you're less likely to be able/want to keep the property up to standard for your tenants and less likely to have the cashflow to cover voids or unplanned costs.

Really? So say the rent on a one bed was £600, that would value the property at 60,000. On the market today such a property in London would currently set you back c£150K (minimum).

The 12-20 rule seems better. That would put its buy value at £84K and sell value at £144K. Which means that no landlord wishing to cover their costs and see some kind of return on their investment should be buying right now.

To the grinch I'd say, looking at the short term gain is meaningless, if you're buying well above market value for the property in the first place. A bad investment is a bad investment.
  • GingeG
    GingeG Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    So what do the great meanmachine and deemy suggest for everyone then stay with their Mum and Dads? Or perhaps just keep lining someone elses pockets if you buy for a home and not as a business venture then property will always be a sound investment.

I am sure that a house bought now even at the height of a rocky market will be worth more in 10 years time.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really? So say the rent on a one bed was £600, that would value the property at 60,000. On the market today such a property in London would currently set you back c£150K (minimum).

The 12-20 rule seems better. That would put its buy value at £84K and sell value at £144K. Which means that no landlord wishing to cover their costs and see some kind of return on their investment should be buying right now.
    Depends on the business model - this guy's argument was that if you buy on a cashflow basis, you don't really care if property values don't go up so you can buy at any time. If you buy on a covering costs basis, you have a relatively limited window when it makes sense to buy. I think at the time (last year) he was mainly looking in Scotland and Wales, but had spotted a few in England (surprised me as well.!). Bit like running a bookies (previous incarnation) - if you run it on the numbers you make a profit, if you run it like a punter you either make a bigger profit or a loss....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure