How do i get my money back from Buyacar.com?

Options
I have recently been trying to purchase a car after my old one recently broke down.

I needed a car asap as I work about 30 mins away from the town i live in and it’s very inconvenient taking the bus.

I looked online and saw Buyacar. I wasn’t sure about the site because it looked too good to be true so I looked up some reviews. The reviews were very positive but i now know they are most likely fake...

After picking a car i was contacted by their customer service team and my initial interaction was positive.

Here’s where it goes downhill. The car selected was already taken which was a pain as it wasted a few days of precious time, they could have easily taken it down or put a reservation on the profile.

After that I selected another one and that was “taken”, and another one, guess what “taken”... i was starting to think they were putting up fake cars to entice people in.

After finally finding a car that was available i found it slightly overpriced. I desperately needed a car fast so I thought it’s not so overpriced I wouldn’t go for it so i chose to go forward.

After that i pay the deposit (which is supposed to be refunded when you get your car) and my salesman goes missing for a few days and I’m left in limbo... !!!!!!, i need a car fast so I contact other companies who have 10x better customer service and are a lot more reasonably priced and fast.

I decided to go with the other company and it all goes smoothly and I sort out a good reasonably priced car for a good price. But now I need my deposit back from buyacar.

After contacting them my slow salesman says a manager will contact me, 2 days pass no one gets back to me so i call, i get told again someone will be in contact. Next day no one calls so i call again. I get my salesman again, he “puts me through to a manager” it rings for a while and cuts off...
I email and get no response so I come here to see if anyone knows who i can contact because they’v literally robbed me.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you pay the deposit in person at their premises? If so then unless they state the deposit is refundable if you cancel you've lost it.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Did you agree a delivery time when you paid the deposit? If you did and they haven't fulfilled the promise I'd argue they've breached the contract and you could legitimately ask for the money back.

Anyway, I wouldn't be messing around. Send them a letter before action setting out the situation and demanding the money back. If you don't hear back take it to the small claims court.
  • Tny
    Tny Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    No i paid over the phone, I wasn’t told nor did i see it in their terms that deposits are non refundable.
  • Tny
    Options
    No delivery date was agreed as I pulled out of the deal shortly after and my salesman went incognito.

I will be writing a letter, i can!!!8217;t be bothered with this so court is in my mind.
  • Tny
    Options
    If it!!!8217;s not possible to get my deposit back and they had it in their terms, why wouldn!!!8217;t the show/tell me.

The fact that Kirk keeps dodging me shows he!!!8217;s in the wrong and is trying to stay out of trouble.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You pain over the phone, did you pay with a credit or debit card?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    !!!8217 - what does that mean please?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The paying of a deposit is not 'an option to purchase'. It's to confirm the contract you agreed to purchase the vehicle. You now wish to break that contract.
    If the rep isn't around, ask to speak to the sales manager or dealer principal.
    It's up to you at the time of making the contract to ask what the terms are, before you commit to purchase.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    !!!8217 - what does that mean please?
    It means whoever posted it has "Smart Punctuation" turned on and is using an Apple (or similar) device. Just turn off Smart punctuation, it makes no difference to the device but it does make posts easier to read.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    It means whoever posted it has "Smart Punctuation" turned on and is using an Apple (or similar) device. Just turn off Smart punctuation, it makes no difference to the device but it does make posts easier to read.

Thanks so much for clarifying that. I keep seeing it in so many posts now and didn't have a clue what it meant.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport