Bought bike from charity shop

Options
Hi

Apologies in advance if a similar topic has been discussed here before. We bought our son a second hand bike from a charity shop a month ago. The chain has broken. I went to the charity shop to be told they can't do anything about it. No refund and no exchange. Can they do this?

I asked if they can fix it but they said they don't have anyone to fix the chain either and to take it elsewhere.

Please can someone advise.

Thanks in advance
Hannah

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And how much did you pay
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hannah1976 wrote: »
    Hi

Apologies in advance if a similar topic has been discussed here before. We bought our son a second hand bike from a charity shop a month ago. The chain has broken. I went to the charity shop to be told they can't do anything about it. No refund and no exchange. Can they do this?

I asked if they can fix it but they said they don't have anyone to fix the chain either and to take it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance
    Hannah

I'm not sure if charity shop items fall under normal rules for refunds and exchange. Just buy a new chain and put it on. It was a second hand item that you bought after inspection and the chain broke later. Don't think there is a warrantee or similar.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    Links on Halfords site and YouTube videos that show you how to change a chain. For a kids bike a new chain is only a couple of pounds.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,743 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure if charity shop items fall under normal rules for refunds and exchange.
    They do.

Consumer purchases from charity shops are covered by exactly the same legislation as purchases from any other business.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bike chains break, it is not a reason to expect to be able to take it back. Everyone who owns a bike should be able fix something this simple. Every chain should be changed at least once a year, unless this one was brand new it was almost certainly ready to be changed anyway.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2018 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Completely agree with Keep Pedalling.

Bike chains break - then they need to be replaced.

Chains available for under £4 delivered on Amazon.

If your son has a bike you (or he if old enough) need to either learn how to maintain said bike or find a friend that can.

Nothing to do with the charity shop.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    would you take it back if he got a puncture? these things happen with bikes buy a new chain one so your kid can enjoy his bike, 5 minute job to fit.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hannah1976 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks in advance
    Hannah

A button fell off from a coat I bought from a charity shop - perhaps I should have asked them to sew it back on for me.

I can't believe this OP is actually serious!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    It is arguable that a chain, like a tyre, is a consumable, but if not, then the shop is liable under CRA, since up to 6m the fault can be presumed to have pre-existed.
    But context is everything here: if the OP paid £100, then the standard of the bike would be expected to be much higher than if she paid £20.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    It is arguable that a chain, like a tyre, is a consumable, but if not, then the shop is liable under CRA, since up to 6m the fault can be presumed to have pre-existed.
    But context is everything here: if the OP paid £100, then the standard of the bike would be expected to be much higher than if she paid £20.

Chains like tyres are consumables. My bikes get through 2 chains a year, a set of tyres will be changed approx once every three years. If a chain breaks but still has plenty of ware left in it you don’t even need to change it, simply rejoin the change using a spare link if required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure