PPI Claim - Tesco/Sentinel

Options
To anybody who can provide advice,

I took out a Tesco Bank credit card in January 2011, which I have recently defaulted on. I believe that I was mis-sold PPI on this Credit Card, which was with Sentinel and over the years have been paying a monthly fee for this.

Quick questions:

1) Is is possible to claim back PPI on account that's defaulted? I'm aware that any monies owed would most likely reduce the outstanding balance, rather than cash in hand.

2) Has anybody had else has any dealings with two companies in terms of reclaiming PPI?

3) I've read through the guidance on MSE but still feel a bit in the dark as to what to do next - can anybody provide any further guidance?

Many thanks.

Trebor.

Comments

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sentinel is not PPI, it was a (worthless) protection for fraud

    Unfortunately you missed the boat on that, the scheme closed 1/8/17 so you can try but unlikely you will get anything back

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/Sentinel-Affinion-card-protection

    You may ALSO have had PPI but this was not a monthly fee, rather a monthly charge based on how much you had on the card. It's worth asking Tesco as yes they will reduce the balance you owe
  • Trebor2013
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Sentinel is not PPI, it was a (worthless) protection for fraud

    Unfortunately you missed the boat on that, the scheme closed 1/8/17 so you can try but unlikely you will get anything back

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/Sentinel-Affinion-card-protection

    You may ALSO have had PPI but this was not a monthly fee, rather a monthly charge based on how much you had on the card. It's worth asking Tesco as yes they will reduce the balance you owe

    Thank you for the above. I can't ever say I agreed to anything payment protection related with Tesco, yet when I look back on statement, it comes back with 'Cardholden Protection Plan', then the cost.

    Is this worth investigating or could this be relavant to the Sentinel protection?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's CPP. Not PPI.

    A very different thing and as Nasqueron says, the ship has long since sailed on that one.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trebor2013 wrote: »
    Thank you for the above. I can't ever say I agreed to anything payment protection related with Tesco, yet when I look back on statement, it comes back with 'Cardholden Protection Plan', then the cost.

    Is this worth investigating or could this be relavant to the Sentinel protection?

    Sentinel was the cardholder protection plan, it was a single fixed monthly fee and the scheme has now closed
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Trebor2013 wrote: »

    I took out a Tesco Bank credit card in January 2011, which I have recently defaulted on. I believe that I was mis-sold PPI on this Credit Card
    PPI was no longer offered by Tesco credit card (or by the vast majority of other providers) in 2011.

    The CPP refund scheme has also long closed. There are no reports of anyone getting anything back since, unless they had CPP prior to 2005. Obviously long before you agreed to CPP.

    So you are wasting your time pursuing this.

    Sorry.
  • Trebor2013
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Sentinel was the cardholder protection plan, it was a single fixed monthly fee and the scheme has now closed

    Ahh I see - it just threw me off a little as the monthly fee wasn't the amount amount each month, so assumed it was PPI as it wasn't a 'fixed' amount.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trebor2013 wrote: »
    Ahh I see - it just threw me off a little as the monthly fee wasn't the amount amount each month, so assumed it was PPI as it wasn't a 'fixed' amount.

    The cardholder protection was annual I think anyway, if it varied by account balance it probably is some sort of PPI equivalent

    I'd just ring up and clarify what it was but as MI says above, it was probably not sold as a new policy if you took the card out in 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards