Options
13»

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 April 2018 at 9:03AM
    Options
    First of all, it's positive that he has recognised that he's not provided a great service and is willing to consider recompense. However, don't get your hopes up on the value. Additional work to the value of £1,000 won't translate to a similar cash discount. For example, it might cost him £500 to do that £1,000 worth of work and so £500 cash discount might be the alternative offer. He may not offer a cash equivalent at all. If £500 were to be the cash figure offered, I think it a good outcome for you given your situation and the feedback you've had here.
  • Fluffybunny80
    Options
    I agree with everyone here (apart from the OP) that there has been no financial loss here and nothing in writing to state work done by or anything to that effect.

Good luck in court as you'll need it.
    It'll cost you a lot of money in solicitor fees, court fees etc and if you lose you'll be even worse off.

Saying you could do with the extra cash seems to me you've got it in your head you can get away with paying less than agreed and if you needed the extra cash then why initial works to the sum of 15k??

as unholyangel put it, there's a case where there was significant loss and distress caused and they got £750 by the courts.
    Yet you expect £250 more than that?

It is your mistake for not having any of this in writing and as long as they rectify the work within reasonable time and not two years (where did that come from again?) Then anything offered is goodwill only.

A court will ask you for something in writing i.e. an email, paper document or something in written form that states the completion time scale agreed by both parties.
    if nothing is in writing, either party could state a different figure or timescale.

You really need to get any works due to be undertaken in writing next time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure