Lambs liver for the dog

Options
Cooked or Raw?

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your dog is not raw fed then it's safer to avoid feeding it, liver is incredibly rich and even raw fed dogs only have it as roughly 5% of their diet, any more or feeding too much too soon will lead to explosive diarrhoea.

If you do choose to give some, it really shouldn't be more than a tiny sliver.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gitdog isn't raw fed. I've occasionally chucked a small bit of raw liver in his bowl and he's been fine.
    I tend to make and freeze liver cake though which I use a a training reward. Too much gives them the runs and can also trigger colitis if they're susceptible that way.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    I did just give him a little mixed in with his normal kibble and it was cooked.
  • kimcros
    kimcros Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    My dog is not used to raw meat, he will not eat it, only cooked it
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had one dog who didn't like the feel of raw liver but ate it very lightly grilled.

When I changed to raw feeding I cut it up into tiny bits with scissors and mixed it in with her raw mince
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 May 2018 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Makes wonderful liver cake for training treats.
    Mine will almost jump somersaults for such indulgences!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Georgia_Taylor
    Options
    Depends on the size of the dog and the dogs health history

If your pet tolerates it without developing loose stools, you should consider feeding up to 1 oz. of liver per day for a medium to large dog, and up to 0.5 oz. per day or small dogs. Feeding double that amount of liver only 2-3 times a week is another good strategy. If your dog eats raw liver or consumes three servings of cooked liver a week, they could be headed for bone problems. Never feed your dog liver if they are also on vitamin A supplements.

This information is approved by Pets the Nets and Dogs Naturally Magazine
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    According to VETINFO

Symptoms of canine vitamin A toxicity include:

appetite loss
    bone spurs
    constipation
    lethargy
    limping
    stiffness
    weakness
    weight loss

Your dog may also be more sensitive to touch around his front legs and neck.

Processed food will have Vitamin A added to it so adding raw/cooked liver should be done with care.
  • Deewelch
    Deewelch Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    You can give the liver half-cooked, dogs enjoy that kind of preparation.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    mine don't seem to like it raw, but love it lightly fried. As above not too much or too often as vitamin A toxicity is a risk (just as it would be if we ate too much vitamin A over a long period), the occasional treat when it's in the reduced section fine so long as their tums aren't sensitive to it though. Lamb heart also goes down well here, I tend to trim the fat off though.

Please could someone post their liver cake recipe, ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport